E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Super newbie with ac questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super newbie with ac questions

First, let me just say I know nothing about Mercedes. I've never owned one and I'm trying to help out my in-laws.

My mother-in-law owns an 89 MB 300ce which she is in the process of trying to sell. But before she can the AC needs to be fixed. Her mechanic has informed her that the AC compressor has gone bad, so she's purchased a used compressor and asked me to help install it. I've done lots of work on the BMWs, Hondas and Subarus which I've owned in the past so I'm not a complete novice at repairs but I've never tackled anything in the AC department.

Any tips on how to replace this correctly? Besides the compressor, what else is she going to need? The drier? hoses? expansion valves? Like I said, my knowledge of the AC system is fairly limited so any and all advice is welcome.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this please direct me there or if there is another site that my offer more info that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Evan
Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Welcome!

If you can install an AC compressor in your garage with no help, I wasted my money for my HVAC degree. It's definitely not DIY if you don't know refrigeration, and working with the refrigerant is illegal if you don't have an EPA license.

But...

You could have the R-12 removed by a shop. This doesn't cost much. Then you could change out the compressor, being careful not to contaminate the system. I attached the procedure. You have the 103 engine. Then have it evacuated and recharged which will cost you a few hundred because R-12 is about $100 per pound, thanks to certain activists and people who have no job and nothing better to do all day besides picket outside the white house because they think it's too hot outside or something.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
83-530.pdf (805.5 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by shdoug; 07-30-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:58 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
ugg you to

yah my car dose that to i got a 1988 260e
but what mine dose is the heat is stuck on with the ac.
and turning it off dose not help the heat is still on also it dose not help that there is a heat wave going on right now where i live. i need the same thing you do and i need to fix the heat on my car.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by shdoug
Welcome!

If you can install an AC compressor in your garage with no help, I wasted my money for my HVAC degree. It's definitely not DIY if you don't know refrigeration, and working with the refrigerant is illegal if you don't have an EPA license.

But...

You could have the R-12 removed by a shop. This doesn't cost much. Then you could change out the compressor, being careful not to contaminate the system. I attached the procedure. You have the 103 engine. Then have it evacuated and recharged which will cost you a few hundred because R-12 is about $100 per pound, thanks to certain activists and people who have no job and nothing better to do all day besides picket outside the white house because they think it's too hot outside or something.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was worried about. I'm going to recommend she take it to the shop and have it done. I have no desire to mess with the system only to screw it up more.

Evan
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
yah my car dose that to i got a 1988 260e
but what mine dose is the heat is stuck on with the ac.
and turning it off dose not help the heat is still on also it dose not help that there is a heat wave going on right now where i live. i need the same thing you do and i need to fix the heat on my car.
Check your mono valve and aux pump.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 AM

Range Rover Classic
That heat stuck on comment sounds like an AC fault. When I ran into AC issues it felt like that however the issue was traced to the expansion valve and low R134 levels. Still have a slow leak in there somewhere though.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
yeah for me i know nothing bout this car at all. i got it 2 months ago from my dad becuz he was going to just junk it.i was not going to let him becuz i love that car so i gave him 1 dollar for the car.in geting it i spent about 50 dollars in buying new stuff so it would run better. it runs nice but the heat stuck on.this is kinda crappy becuz my window is stuck up. im taking a auto class at my college and im going to try to fix all that i can.i know alot about cars and how to fix them. i know nothing on Mercedes there hard to work on.