E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Ignition Tumbler HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 300E
Ignition Tumbler HELP!!

I've just cut and pasted the below from the "Can't Turn Key!" thread, to give it a little more profile.

Folks, this thread (Can't Turn Key!) has a great fix for a stuck key (thanks to Mario500!).
Got me thru the last month of edgy starts. BUT, my key finally broke off in the igntion tumbler two days ago. I learned that you can pop the tumbler out by making a little tool that goes in those two little holes on the outside front diameter of the tumbler. There are retainer spirings in there that the tool is supposed to depress so you can neatly remove the tumbler. I know that at least one such spring exists because I am looking at it right now on the new tumbler I got from the dealer.

Here's my problem. The tool, which I made from the approprate gauge of coat hanger, ain't working. I insert it in the holes, I assume it is depressing the spring or springs, since it does so perfectly when I try it on the new tumbler.

Am I missing something? Maybe I deformed the springs when I messed around with chicken skewers before I made the tool?