E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Odd question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1983 240D, 1989 300E
Odd question

OK I was not sure really where to put this but here goes. I m looking at buying a s house right now. There is one that I am almost locked on that has a basement with a large room in it. I have decided that is I buy the house i will convert that room into a screening room. What I would like to do is instead of normal home theater chairs, use MB driver seats. How Hard would it be to get the electrical portion of the seats working not in the car. I would like to pull the control unit off the door and relocate it. Therefore I can use the control from the door to adjust the seats in the theater. I know this sounds very crazy, but I am some what of a Mercedes nut. Anyone have any idea. Mounting is the easy part. The hardest part would be finding a power supply. Is the anyway to covert the 12v system to be able to use a normal home wall socket. Or is this idea just to far in the clouds.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dora the Explorer
That sounds like a killer idea!

Maybe you could get a sealed car battery (the brand name escapes me) as your power source, and keep it hooked up to the wall via a trickle charger.

There's probably a less ghetto way to do it, but hey - it's an idea.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

youre gonna need to mount the seats on something. that gives you room under the actual seat to mount a voltage transformer or some such device.

but car seats dont have built in armrests. and nice squishy seat bottoms.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1983 240D, 1989 300E
Originally Posted by neanderthal
youre gonna need to mount the seats on something. that gives you room under the actual seat to mount a voltage transformer or some such device.

but car seats dont have built in armrests. and nice squishy seat bottoms.
The armrest problem has already been thought out and taken car of. I just need a way to power the seats to be able to recline. The will be in a stadium configuration. I was thinking maybe 3 rows of 5. Right now this is still in the planning stages. And I would like to avoid the ghetto rigging too. One the asthetics and two the safety.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
you can probably use one or a few of these and rewire them to the seats easily

http://salestores.com/koac11poadac.html

these are more hardcore, used in cell phone networks or something

http://www.lite-check.com/power.htm

http://www.newmartelecom.com/Power-S...ty-Series.html

http://cell-phone-accessories-wholes...ut-Meters.HTML
Old 08-04-2007, 11:37 AM

All of them!
Seats from an ML have the switches and all built in. Just build a seat of legs out of pipe with an extended rear set for stability. Most APC battery backups have a small 12 vt. battery in them. Run your wires directly to the battery inside.
A friend had a set of w116 (only were available non-powered) leather buckets in his house. People didn't recognise them as car seats, the W116 seat were overstuffed looking.