E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Ventilation valve, repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E280
Question Ventilation valve, repair?

Hello everyone,

Today the bad luck stuck me. It was frost in the moring so I wanted to heat up the windshield asap. So I decided to close the fresh air vent in the middle of the console.

Snap! Now the contoll wheel is only spinning.

I'm going to by a repair manual but do you have to dismatle the whole dashboard to repair this? It looks like the ventilation is module based, but Arg,,,, It's gona be expensive to go to a merc garage and I don't trust that the mickey mouse garages can fix this kind of problem.

Thankfull for any advice.

Daniel, Bristol UK.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Lightbulb

.Maybe I can help you.

To get to the center air unit, you need to take out the screws, one left hand side in the glove compartment (sorry you are from Bristol UK) then right hand side, and the second, unfortunately from the left side, which is hidden behind the clock assembly. If someone every worked there, they may not have put the screw back (lucky!!) because if so, you dont need to pull the clock.
Then you need to use a 4 or 5 mm Allen wrench to disconnect the wheel from the lever. (through the grille, use a flashlight to find it) Then you have to lift the 4 springs (one each corner) at a time, which hold the unit in the dash board, pull the grill, disconnect the wires for the light, and there you are. Now you can see what is damaged.

Either the mechanical connection between the wheel and the lever has just come apart or the take up for the lever in the plastic wheel broke off. First is no problem the second is a problem, since MB is not selling the assembly parts for the vent unit seperately. The only way is either get the whole thing from MB or look at a junk yard.

An other, rather rare possibility is that the connection of the lever and the flap broke off. In this case you need to take apart the windshield wiper assembly to get to the flap from the out side, and try to reconnect, depending how much corrossion the there is.
To put the unit back you need to adjust the flap so it closes properly when the wheel is turned to close. The adjustment is the Allen screw, to tight leaves the flap some what open, too lose means flap does not open fully.

Good luck, it's not impossible to do it, but it requires some patience, but will safe you quite some $ (resp. pounds)

Last edited by bamberger_1; 10-25-2002 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E280
Thank you for the most detailed and usefull reply. Better polish the toolbox now before I start. =)

Daniel