E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

More New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
More New Owner Questions

Howdy,
Just got my first W124 (94 e320) and so far im pretty happy with the car though it does need a few things, dont they all . Ive been trolling the forums and have found a good deal of the information I am looking for but still have a couple unanswered questions I hoped you all could help me with.

1. Leatherique or lanolin, ive heard both work pretty well for cleaning up leather is one better than the other, i know which one is cheaper. Additionally i was reading the post that recomended heal restorer for steering wheel repair is thier a certian brand or something, I went to CVS (local pharmacy) and couldnt find anything more than Kiwi polish.

2. The front liscense plate holder is busted and I dont require a front plate in AZ anyhow, is there a cover i can get? I seem to remember seeing one in a pic somewhere but it could have been custom, just wondered if anyone knew where I could find such an item. I would rather not use a Euro plate up front but may consider that route if i cant find anything better.

3. The drivers seat appears to be leaning towards the center of the car, I have had the seat out and the cover off to inspect for bent brackets and such and was unable to detect anything misaligned, loose or otherwise, just wondered if anyone else had run into this issue before. The seat seems to function ok, however the layback seems to stick a little bit like that bar may be slightly out of alignment. Not sure what to make of the issue, but a spacer under the right rear of the seat seems to correct the issue (spacer is 1"). I have replaced the bolt with a longer one but im still not sure that this isnt a saftey issue due to having the seat bolted down and i would really rather do this correctly.

4. Apparently thier are no wonderful stick on kits for refinishing (hiding) our cracked center consoles so I am curious if anyone has refinished/revaneered thier own with any sort of sucess. I have seen the paint jobs but would rather stick with wood if possible - had originally hoped just to sticker it up unitil i could locate a good center or a replacement one i could refinish.

5. The car looks like it may have followed a gravel truck for a short while as the headlights are both cracked and thier is a dent in the grille surround. While all this stuff is easy to replace with aftermarket on ebay I am curious to your experiences with the ebay lights. I have heard that some of them like to hold in moisture (not sealed well), do you have any recomended models. I like the euro lights but im not certian i want to pay for em yet.

6. Are the amg knockof rims on ebay worth anything? Should i worry about using them for daily driving or are they sufficient? Basicly im just going for cub appeal, not looking to shed any weight or for high performance wheels.

Thanks in advance for all the help