E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1986 300E etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2002 | 03:03 PM

1986 300E etc.

Hello friends,

I am new to the site but I see that there is much to offer here. I am looking at buying a MB, but I need some advice from those of you who are "in the know." Anyway, a neighbor is selling his 1986 300E with 159K miles on it. I already know it needs a paint job, but not sure about the rest. He is asking $4K for it. My questions are these: what is a fair price for the vehicle (assuming it is mechanically OK), is this a model I should shy away from, are there better models (under $4,500 or so) that I should look at, etc. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:16 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
thats a good amount more than book value

The book value on simliar cars with that mileage is about $3,300. It must be in better than average condition so Im sure there is something that adds to the added price. You said it needed paint? Go to Kellys Blue book... like all other things, everyone has their opinion but they are a good reference point.
they are at kbb.com.
Old 01-07-2002 | 05:34 PM

value and time??

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. It's nice to see a community come together. Anyway, I went and looked at the 1986 300E on Saturday. The guy selling it hasn't used it as his daily driver for some time. The car wasn't even registered. Beyond that, the car was filthy. I mean, there was dust and dirt everywhere as if it sat in the back of a museum (covered, at least) for years. Even the engine compartment was covered in dust.

So, the car DID start right up (props to the Germans) and it seemed to run fine. We (my bro and I) test drove it and it seemed all right. Heavier than my '96 Accord, but fun. The straight 6 seemed to giddy-up OK, but it made a funny hiss noise as it approached red-line. It only did it once, but who knows what it was?

The rest of the car was in the following state: odd colored hood (diff. from body), two rust patches at the top of the windshield (each the size of a quarter), a few dents and dings, cracked bumber, non-working roof, partial working electric seats, missing a/c etc. buttons, cracked dash (from neglect) and in need of a paint job.

My questions are these: I am looking for a "project" car--something that I can do minor body work to, paint it, fix odds and ends. IF the car is mechanically fine, will this work for me? How much time and effort will it take to get it looking OK--I mean, not a museum peice, but something worthwhile for a daily driver? Also, the local "ma and pop" German mechanic says he'll look at it for $65, but he only has 35 years experience with MB (lol).

Also, he dropped his price from $4K down to $3,200. I think he's getting closer, but the amount of work it will take on this thing now that I've seen it, $2,500 may be more in line. What do you think?
Please advise.
Old 01-25-2002 | 08:44 PM

C280 & E320
300e I should say one of the best engine or model MBZ made. I would go ahead & grab it for $3,000 and not worry about the mileage. Just spend your other $$$ for a paint job. I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome. My co-worker got a 300e 1986 and it got 230,000 miles in it. The engine is so smooth. You won't hear knocking or pinging at all. Good luck and hoping that you would enjoy your ride.