E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

EGR Ramrod Procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320 Dragon Wagon
EGR Ramrod Procedure

I had the delightful Check Engine Lamp, Code 5 - EGR failure. My first thought was block-off the bugger and pull the CEL bulb but was never convinced EGR wasn't needed for proper combustion chamber temperature. I'm still not sure if the Euro cars even have EGR's?

Applied vac to the valve and she leaked. The dreaded pipe to the intake stared back scaring me. Tracing it out I realized it would take a rubber arm to break the fitting hiding under throttle body.

Okay, ordered the valve and gasket and went in. I juiced her up with my favorite penetrating oil and nothing, she won't break. I applied the stuff liberally over a few days before the weekend. The (2) 10mm bolts loosened, backing out the studs but still no go on the pipe fitting. I found the swing clearance a bit tight with a 19mm wrench. Hate to do it but an 8" crescent (adjustable) fit right over it with a 3 foot cheater pipe slid over the handle. Grit teeth and pull - pop she broke.

Before patting myself for exceptional hillbilly skills I tested the pipe. I slipped a hose over it and blew. Yep, clogged air tight. Reading other posts before starting, I grabbed the suggested weapons. I chopped down an old speedometer cable and tried hand snaking it through. Went in about a foot and bound. Mounted it in a drill and with slow speed rotation the cable crawled through much further and stopped hard. Time for chemistry. I inserted the test hose with a funnel stuffed in it and poured an ounce of kerosene down. Using an air hose with a rubber blaster tip near the fitting, I gave her a few shots which blows vapor down the pipe. Watch you eyes on this one. Snaking it revealed serious goo back pulling the cable.

Procedure: Air blow solvent then snake. Retest by pressing the tapered air tip into the line (tight seal) and listen to the hiss. Repeat as needed. I had to do it about six times at 50 psi to clear. I flushed the black-goo through the pipe with Seafoam added thinking as a de-carbonizer it might help melt the gunk flowing down the intake. Now pour some Seafoam in a squirt bottle and hose down the throttle body to complete the flush.

She runs great with EGR back and no check engine lights. Shops bid this job at four hours. It takes about that long to clean your hands afterward.