E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Finding the ground

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
Finding the ground

Ive been having grimlins with my car for some time now, looked into plenty of problems that led to nothing wrong. small list
-shifting flare
-radio gets static
-A/C doesnt blow cold enough

odd part, they all happen at the same time. As in, when the radio sounds normal, the a/c cools off quickly and the shifts are perfect.

I know that something is loose. I can swerve the car and usually fixe the problem, or hit the brakes, or accelerate.

Im thinking its a loose ground somewhere, possibly the fuse box. (first time i noticed the fix, i had been playing around that area)

hopefully someone has had to find this problem or similar problems.
Im going to undo and check the main battery ground tomorow, but it looked allright at first glance.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
The mas control unit has something to do with all those things and many more. You may wish to look into that too.
Peter
Old 10-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
Well last night i checked this page again, nothin, so i went on my own.

took out the fuse block, followed as many wires as i could, made sure the connections were ok.
found 1 wire (Black w/ green stripe) was connected through a small black box (match box size) pulled on it when the car was on, i could tell it caused problems in the radio.

opened the box up, cleaned up and tightend the connection, and so far that has seemed to work for the radio and the A/C.

Starting to think the shifting prob really is my B2 band. Guna crawl underneath it today and adjust the red vacuum control knob to harden the shifts a little bit.

My dad couldnt get over how lucky i was to find that one single loose connection in the fuse box.... gota love how easy these cars are to work on.

thanks for the reply though, glad to see someone respond.

Last edited by floodkid; 10-10-2007 at 09:53 AM.