E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Just a few more repairs and then goodbye

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
^ Why? Labor unions. It's hard to compete when you have to pay a guy who might be a high school dropout (no offense to those who are) $30/hour to install gas caps.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230k '05
w124

man I have a 87 300e and this cars is sexy or even one of the sexiest mercedes ever built I would say even better than the 16V 190e specially the 500E my eyes have orgasm if I see a modded W124
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 AM

2008 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
My buddy's mom got a new Stang GT when they came out the other year, and he was so excited, but damn is that thing cheap feeling. Domestics are lame.

A friend of mine has a new silverado, nice truck, the dash has very euro design cues a-la audi/benz. But with only 10k miles, the B-pillar plastic is already falling apart, and the door panels are very cheap feeling. Jesus, why can't they wake up and design a car worth a damn.

And without the $50,000 price tag, LOL. Mines fine, Doesn't lack at all. And I have the stock V6 one and I just floor that baby and she moves, Nice passing people without even trying. haha.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 AM

W203 C230k '05
Originally Posted by JDW124
And without the $50,000 price tag, LOL. Mines fine, Doesn't lack at all. And I have the stock V6 one and I just floor that baby and she moves, Nice passing people without even trying. haha.
Last time I checked they came with Inline 6
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 AM

W124
Originally Posted by ksing44
I am really trying to make it in my car until the VW diesel Rabbits show up in the US again. I like the idea of 50 mpg and I like the idea of burning WVO, so hopefully I will like the diesels when they arrive. I wish they would make a GTI diesel. I would like all the handling stuff and the nicer interior, but with a slower economical diesel motor.
Do you not get the GT Sport diesel in the US?

Have you considered a Lexus, maybe a two/three year old one?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by cap'n jasper
Do you not get the GT Sport diesel in the US?
No, we didn't get the Golf GT Sport, at least I have never seen one on the road or seen one advertised in the US. From your link, I saw that the Golf GT Sport was available with the 2.0 TDI diesel. That would be perfect for me.

Back in 1991 I drove a Golf on an extended camping trip cross country to 10 National Parks. My Golf had 100K miles when I left Pennsylvania. I drove across the Rockies and went all the way to the west coast, stopping and camping in some of the most beautiful places along the way. I even drove through Death Valley and up the coast from California to Washington before heading back home. I always wanted to repeat the trip in my W124, but I think that will never happen now. The big trunk of the W124 and my trailer hitch for a bike rack would have made it doable in the Benz, but a new diesel Golf would be great!!! You know my VW Golf with 100K did not need a wiring harness, head gasket, front timing cover, transmission rebuild, AC repairs, or anything that my other much more expensive German engineered car seems to need. I think I could be happy in a new Golf diesel.

Originally Posted by cap'n jasper
Have you considered a Lexus, maybe a two/three year old one?
I did go to look at some Lexus cars. There is a new dealer right up the road. I just didn't like them. I think I would rather get the Honda if it comes to that.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by shdoug
You've got the sedan there shown, check out the Coupe...Now that's sick, for a new car!
The Honda coupe does look pretty good. It sits a little high, but so did our W124 cars, until we fixed that problem. The 2007 BMW coupe sits low already. The BMW is really gorgeous, but I just don't think I would trust it for repairs in the future. In addition, for at least 50% more cash than the Accord coupe, it just isn't a good value unless you put a lot of personal value on the things that make the BMW such a highly desirable driver's car. I do get those things and appreciate those things, but the extra money and the inevitable extra repairs give me second thoughts. The BMWs also don't get 50 mpg like the VW diesels. Granted the Rabbit/Golf body isn't nearly as seductive and sexy as the BMW coupe or our W124 cars, but they are still great little utilitarian vehicles that are fun to drive.

I remember loving every car I ever owned, even though they were not W124s. I think if they get you from A to B and don't break and if they are fun to drive around in, you end up falling in love with them. I will always remember how much I loved my w124, but I will also remember how it basically self destructed at 100K. That is not what I expected!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Ksing listen to me and listen to me really carefully.

My mom owned a 2000 grand cherokee, loved it. Gave her a few problems so she traded in for a 2001 honda odessy (however you spell the darn thing) well she bought it brand spankin new, 10K happy miles later it had a blown transmission.

I said "WTF, that can't be...it's a HONDA!" well it turns out Honda of North america recalled almost 60% of the vehicles sold between 98 -2002 because of transmission problems.

Owners we left stranded and some came near death experciences as their cars left them in the middle of highways, middle-of-nowhere, pullling out of shoppin centers ETC ETC.

Reliable? Right....

to this day my mother still has a suit against them!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
almost 270hp, 6 speed manual, 18" wheels stock, navi, bluetooth, great mpg, tons of affordable aftermarket support, good resale value, etc. etc. etc.
you should definitely go for it, as long as it's fun to drive.
i love my benz and will never sell it, and there are very few cars on the road with the same character. but let's be honest, the technology in the car is decades old, and the interior is not up to modern standards. even my co-worker's nissan versa has push-button start. every time i get into a newer car, i notice what mine is lacking. a rotary dial to set the temperature is 'quaint', but even my 91 legend had digital climate control, and the list goes on. yes, it has a lot of features ahead of its time, but the interior was designed 20 years ago, and it kind of shows.
in a couple more years it will not make sense to sell the benz, since it will be worth so little compared to what i would have invested in it by then (upgrades, not maintenance), so i'm just keeping it. as old as it is, it is much more fun and nicer to drive than most newer cars i've had the chance to drive. also, it was a dream car for me when i was younger. but if it wasn't for that, i would have moved on to an E39 bmw a while ago.
if i were you though i would wait a few months and get a low-mileage used 2008, and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation. plus you'll know if the car has any issues by then, since it's a new model.
as for reliability, the last ten years have not exactly been stellar for MB either. both honda and mercedes may have their problems, but guess which is cheaper to fix if you ever have to pay out of pocket?
good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
"Honda of North america recalled almost 60% of the vehicles sold between 98 -2002 because of transmission problems"

And 50% of the other 40% were told to pound salt.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by RHW
"Honda of North america recalled almost 60% of the vehicles sold between 98 -2002 because of transmission problems"

And 50% of the other 40% were told to pound salt.
That's pretty generous if you ask me. They didn't have to recall the vehicles because of a malfunctioning transaxle. If Dodge had done that in the early 90's, there would be no Dodge now.

More and more people are realizing that MB does not stand behind their cars, and they are being called "unreliable" by many. I have in front of me the current Consumer Reports New Vehicle Ratings. 3 out of the 4 MBs on the list are considered unreliable by CR.

I owned a 2000 Accord LX and a 2001 Accord EX-V6, and never had tranny problems, or any problems for that matter (except the one built in Japan was notably better than the American one), but I didn't have them very long either. I would say that whatever Honda did to resolve the issue must have been effective because they are considered by most to be bulletproof.

Is the new Accord as cool as anything that has ever rolled off the MB assembly line? Please, that's not even a serious question. But for people who have things in their life that are more important and time consuming than the car in the garage, most MBs are just not practical. If your pride and joy is your car, a Honda would not even be a consideraton, I would think. but I agree with ksing44 that whatever car you own can bring pleasure and satisfaction if it is reliable, just like those who are not married to Jessica Alba can still enjoy their wife.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Shdoug,
Honda was NOT generous to several friends of mine who replaced transmissions in hondacars in the last 5+ years. Honda has had those trans issues and hid from many of them. More than they covered, more than the listed guestimates, I would bet.

My nephew's 98 Acura has 82K on it and the trans is on the list for 'needs attention' - hopefully not needs a trans. He has spent over $3400 in the last few months on his ride.

People change their tastes. My brother has offered to trade me his 4 year old Camry for the 15 year old Sportline I just bought (I laughed and he knows better). He has been watching my driveway and likes my driveway much more than his these days.

Your quote:
"for people who have things in their life that are more important and time consuming than the car in the garage, most MBs are just not practical. "

I know of NO PERSON on these boards that would not give up their rides here for something else in their life if that were the choice. The only "understandable" exception is that super trick, poly renovation on the e500 owned by S 500 R. S500R would probably sacrifice one of the kids to keep that machine.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 PM

Have you looked at Hyundai's yet?? Maybe a nice little Daihatsu...?

I think they offer a bizillion year warranty - rolled in to the $14.95 sticker price.

:
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OP

ignore the haters.
theyre just MB fanboys, understandably as this is a benz site.

do what pleases you and gives your mind the most rest. but no coming back with regrets, aaight?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 AM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
ksing44, I feel your pain.

I am on my third Mercedes ('85 190e, 86 300e and this one '94 320e) and this is the last one. I love the car but I am tired of fixing it. I do most of the work myself, saves me a fortune on labor cost, but still...

The car has 142k miles and I spent over $2000 mostly on parts in just the last year. Wiring harness alone was $1047. When I contacted MBZ and asked them to give me some sort of discount, they told me to pound sand. So, I had to pay $1047 for a bundle of wires made in Poland.

Lately "check engine" light came on, because the upshift delay valve went out. $200 part plus a local shop wants $300 to replace it, I am afraid to do it myself because it goes inside the transmission. I also noticed that the rear main engine seal started leaking oil. It's not dripping yet, but the bottom of the AT is wet from it. I already rebuilt the head/gasket couple of years ago.

So, I am waiting for the spring and then I will probably get a couple-years old Lexus GS 350. I want to stick with a RWD car, but I am afraid of BMW for the same reason. Now, keep in mind that 124 is the last model MBZ built with a semi-decent quality. The newer Benzez are just crap, lemons. Shame on MBZ for ruining the brand's reputation.

Okay, folks now I am ready for the hate mail.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Originally Posted by Arnie
ksing44, I feel your pain.

I am on my third Mercedes ('85 190e, 86 300e and this one '94 320e) and this is the last one. I love the car but I am tired of fixing it. I do most of the work myself, saves me a fortune on labor cost, but still...

The car has 142k miles and I spent over $2000 mostly on parts in just the last year. Wiring harness alone was $1047. When I contacted MBZ and asked them to give me some sort of discount, they told me to pound sand. So, I had to pay $1047 for a bundle of wires made in Poland.

Lately "check engine" light came on, because the upshift delay valve went out. $200 part plus a local shop wants $300 to replace it, I am afraid to do it myself because it goes inside the transmission. I also noticed that the rear main engine seal started leaking oil. It's not dripping yet, but the bottom of the AT is wet from it. I already rebuilt the head/gasket couple of years ago.

So, I am waiting for the spring and then I will probably get a couple-years old Lexus GS 350. I want to stick with a RWD car, but I am afraid of BMW for the same reason. Now, keep in mind that 124 is the last model MBZ built with a semi-decent quality. The newer Benzez are just crap, lemons. Shame on MBZ for ruining the brand's reputation.

Okay, folks now I am ready for the hate mail.

What about a CPO 5-Series E60 BMW, either 2004 or 2005?

I looked at a couple (530is). Frankly, they're not for me (4 doors), but they are excellent value.

2004 MY, great ride, great gearbox, good looks for decent $$ ($28k-$38k).

2 year warranty and all...

For me though, it's gotta be the E92 3 series coupe! Love that car.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Again, qualitywise the BMW is not that far ahead of the MBZ, except maybe the 3-series. I don't really want to trade one set of problems for another one. At this point the Lexus seem to be much more attractive.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Arnie
Again, qualitywise the BMW is not that far ahead of the MBZ, except maybe the 3-series. I don't really want to trade one set of problems for another one. At this point the Lexus seem to be much more attractive.
Like I said, Stick with toyota if you want to drive daily and be worry free.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by RHW
Shdoug,
Honda was NOT generous to several friends of mine who replaced transmissions in hondacars in the last 5+ years. Honda has had those trans issues and hid from many of them. More than they covered, more than the listed guestimates, I would bet.

My nephew's 98 Acura has 82K on it and the trans is on the list for 'needs attention' - hopefully not needs a trans. He has spent over $3400 in the last few months on his ride.

People change their tastes. My brother has offered to trade me his 4 year old Camry for the 15 year old Sportline I just bought (I laughed and he knows better). He has been watching my driveway and likes my driveway much more than his these days.

Your quote:
"for people who have things in their life that are more important and time consuming than the car in the garage, most MBs are just not practical. "

I know of NO PERSON on these boards that would not give up their rides here for something else in their life if that were the choice. The only "understandable" exception is that super trick, poly renovation on the e500 owned by S 500 R. S500R would probably sacrifice one of the kids to keep that machine.
Bravo!