E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Looking at a 300D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 300D
Looking at a 300D

Hello
I was on this board a few years ago and found it very informative. I have been on the lookout for a decent 87 turbo D and found what looks like a good one. A couple of things though. I'm not too familair with diesels but the clatter on startup is really loud, although when its warm it levels off. Drivability is real good, and those seats, what a treat. Big thing though is the heater works only on defrost and the controls do not respond. Is this big or fairly simple?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Almost a Member!

87 300D
I'm answering my own questions now. I suppose if its the climate control unit thats not too bad judging from the availability and pricing on Ebay. Now how difficult is it to replace the unit and are special tools needed?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Range Rover Classic
Ugh... sounds like your opening the dashboard up.

The parts aren't a fortune but the labor is. Believe the book time is eight hours. Budget as much as 12 if your doing it yourself for the the first time.

Take a picture of every fitting as you go into the dash.

Put all the screws into individual labeled bags.

No matter the issue replace the vacuum pods. These go with age and you don't want to go back in a second time. Heater Cores can leak as can the evaperator. You may consider replacing the evaperator regardless of its current condition.

If its a vacuum pod you can test it by opening the panel on the underside of the dashboard, passengers side. There is a power strip looking unit with a dozen vacuum cords going in and out. Get something like a mittyvac and test each line to see if it holds vacuum. There are two (I think its two) pods accesable without removing the dashboard. Hopefully its one of these.

The failsafe mode for the AC is full defrost.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

87 300D
Thank you. Thats very helpful.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Range Rover Classic
It could be anything but my first suspicion would be the vacuum pods. If its that then I would also do the evaperator while the dash is opened. The evaps tend to leak.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

87 300D
Well I suppose i'm subjecting myself to a whole new level of abuse as I done the deal. I had a PPI done and found that a ton of things have been fixed and replaced, but there is also a good sized list of stuff that has to be done. However its all a mtter of money and the seller seriously reduced his price after we went down the list. I figure a 20 year old car with a near perfect body and interior is worth saving and its a diesel turbo.