E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Blower problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E
Blower problem

my blower died 3 days ago after i hadnt used the car in 2 weeks. it was work ing fine for about an hour but when i took out my aftermarket headunit to fix my rem wire for the amp the fan seemed to die 30 seconds later. i checked the fuse box everyone worked i also checked the black box on the outside of the fuse box and that one seemed to be fine i took a screw driver across an still no fan. my heat works fine still just take 20 mins for car to warm up. but in snowed like carzy in south jersey yesterday and i was dumping hot water on the windsheild so i could get to school.
somebody please help????
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I hate to tell you friend, but it sounds like (to me at least) that you need a new motor.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM

1993 400E
It's a *****(female dog! - thank you censor!) but you will need to get the motor out and hook it up directly to the battery. You should clamp it in a vise to do this - that little motor will surprise you how powerful it is. You might be able to disconnect the terminals without removing the motor, I can't remember. But once you get to it it's pretty easy to get the actual motor out. Be careful not to damage the fans!

If the motor runs on the bench, then you are probably going to suspect the regulator.

The motor may be seized. If so you have nothing to lose by trying to clean the shafts, lube it and see if you can free it up till it runs freely. Use emery paper/cloth on the shafts if you have to. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE FANS!

If you search this site I am sure you will find post which will tell you how to R&R your blower, including a method of replacing the motor without replacing the fans.

If all else fails I think you just have to assume that the regulator has packed in and replace that. It's expensive and you probably won't be able to return it if it doesn't fix your problem - check with your dealer before you buy.