E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)

Im about to start diong the mods and all that fun stuff so i figure i should keep a list on here like ive seen for a alot of others.

To do list:
Keyless entry+Alarm
Body kit (Gen I)
Interior LEDs Replace and Add under dash(red)
Pojector lights (Black on blacks)
Automatic Window roll ups and sunroof close when cars off (Probably integrate with Alarm)
Black Mesh Grill insert
Stop leaves from getting clogged between hood and windsheild
New/Remove Cat

And more probably.

+Please no negative comments.....
unless its dealing helping me find/set up a negative wire. if you dont like what im doing, go to another thread.
---------------------------------------------------------
First step

I know most of you here probably think its really tuner to put the under dash lights, but i like it.
we tinted an S500 the other day and they actualy have under the dash lights from factory. Thats what really pushed me to get this done.

Big learning curve cause it was my first time dealing with electronics period. Nonetheless in a car.

Ill do a short write up, cause i found a few post asking questions about it, but no real answers.

Everythings set up, cant see the lights or the wires, give a nice glow. Lights turn on by opening the door AND by switch in ash tray when doors are closed.
the power comes from the Cig lighter so the key has to be in and turned on for the lights to turn on.(1)

1) I would like to find a power wire around the cigarrete lighter/ radio area that is from battery. Any ideas of what color it might be? or what it might connect to?

2) Cosmetic question. (still thinking so ill ask while im takin up your time)
Should i have ALL lights turn on when any 1 door opens. OR have them sectioned off so that only the lights for that seating area turn on for each door

3) Ill have to figure this out myself probably, unless yall have ideas.
i have the door jam switch as 1 of the Negatives to turn on the lights.
Problem - when i turn the switch on in the car when the doors are closed the LEDs turn on AND the Dome lights and puddle lights also turn on.
Attached Thumbnails Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)-driver-side-led1.jpg   Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)-pass-side-led1.jpg   Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)-plans.jpg  
Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by floodkid
Im about to start diong the mods and all that fun stuff so i figure i should keep a list on here like ive seen for a alot of others.

To do list:
Keyless entry+Alarm
Body kit (Gen I)
Interior LEDs Replace and Add under dash(red)
Pojector lights (Black on blacks)
Automatic Window roll ups and sunroof close when cars off (Probably integrate with Alarm)
Black Mesh Grill insert
Stop leaves from getting clogged between hood and windsheild
New/Remove Cat

And more probably.

unless its dealing helping me find/set up a negative wire. if you dont like what im doing, go to another thread.
---------------------------------------------------------
First step

I know most of you here probably think its really tuner to put the under dash lights, but i like it.
we tinted an S500 the other day and they actualy have under the dash lights from factory. Thats what really pushed me to get this done.

Big learning curve cause it was my first time dealing with electronics period. Nonetheless in a car.

Ill do a short write up, cause i found a few post asking questions about it, but no real answers.

Everythings set up, cant see the lights or the wires, give a nice glow. Lights turn on by opening the door AND by switch in ash tray when doors are closed.
the power comes from the Cig lighter so the key has to be in and turned on for the lights to turn on.(1)

1) I would like to find a power wire around the cigarrete lighter/ radio area that is from battery. Any ideas of what color it might be? or what it might connect to?

Should i have ALL lights turn on when any 1 door opens. OR have them sectioned off so that only the lights for that seating area turn on for each door

Problem - when i turn the switch on in the car when the doors are closed the LEDs turn on AND the Dome lights and puddle lights also turn on.
Well you did post this on a public forum so if you wanted to keep this to yourself, you could have. But honestly, the lights don't do it for me but hey, to each their own. The rest of your project will look great. My vote would go to have the front lights turn on if the front door is open and have the rear lights turn on if one of the rear lights turn on.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
LnkPrkSoldier....

Grey is ACC, Red is constant, Brown is ground i think?...I have to check...You should use a test light while doing all this electrical work too.

Hmm, I would just have them all turn on because it would be way easier to set up. If you want it to section each door then just use the original door switches and re-wire them for that section only.

Your problem is that when you power the lights inside it's also powering the dome lights because it's connected to the circuit so it acts like the doors are open. You need to wire it so that it doesn't send power back to the dome circuit and only operate the LED lights...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 AM

'98 S500
Try to tie the LED's to your interior light circuits. The easiest way would be to use the light power to pull a miniature relay closed. This separates your circuits from the factory wiring. The relay coil leads would be connected to ground and the power side of a interior light that you want to use as a trigger. Your LED power would switch on when the interior lights got power. Since LED's draw very little power, you could probably use the radio power for your power source.

Tools - Voltmeter with audible continuity check and aligator lead clips; need this to check for voltage and ground or lack of. Quality crimper; good ones have a "tooth" in the jaws that drives into the crimp connector, trapping the wires. Stay away from a crimper that just crushes or flattens the connector. Electrical tape; Scotch 33+ is the industry standard. Cheap tape can cause problems with age. Wire; try to get teflon coated for fire resistance. If for any reason your wiring takes power to ground; i.e., a short, either a fuse will blow or the copper will instantly go red hot, burning through the insulation with bad results.

Technique - When sourcing power or verifying operation, check for all conditions; no key, ACC, key on (cranking if you need constant power), interior lights on, headlights on. If possible, find out which fuse controls the circuit you tap into; this speeds up troubleshooting when something stops working. Sometimes the only sure way to know is to take the power to ground to see which fuse blows. Use you own grounds and power whenever possible; unintended consequences of sharing will haunt you. As much as possible, route all wires along side factory wiring and use black wire sheathing and black tie wraps to keep things neat.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Welcome to the forums!...Thanks for sharing the info...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM

1986 300E
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
Well you did post this on a public forum so if you wanted to keep this to yourself, you could have. .
I do not want to keep it to myself, I want to keeptrack of what im doing AND get input from others with much more experience then me.

This is my first time playing with this stuff.

[QUOTE=But honestly, the lights don't do it for me but hey, to each their own. The rest of your project will look great. My vote would go to have the front lights turn on if the front door is open and have the rear lights turn on if one of the rear lights turn on.[/QUOTE]

I do like this idea morre then each section. i might just set it up both ways and see what i like better by the way it looks.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM

1986 300E
Originally Posted by jharrisiii
Your LED power would switch on when the interior lights got power. Since LED's draw very little power, you could probably use the radio power for your power source.
At the moment the power comes from the Cig lighter. So only turns on If keys are in ignition and turned on.

Wire; try to get teflon coated for fire resistance. If for any reason your wiring takes power to ground; i.e., a short, either a fuse will blow or the copper will instantly go red hot, burning through the insulation with bad results.
Allready ran the wires, Small gauge from radio shack. nothing special.

As much as possible, route all wires along side factory wiring and use black wire sheathing and black tie wraps to keep things neat.
Under carpet or under dash, didnt know how to take apart too much, and didnt want to risk breaking anything. but all the wires are hidden and ran next to factory as much as possible.

Thanks for the Replys
Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 PM

1986 300E
Going to set up front and back seperate.

Reason-
Dome lights work like that.

Also i replaced the front and back dome lights with reb bubls. now just need some puddle lights.

...then replaceing the control LEDs with red.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM

1986 300E
Adding

Mudflaps
CUPHOLDERS!!! Thinking about playing with fiberglass to make the mold and covering with leather or vinyl. Inserting them into the center console. attach it to the screw under the carpeting. ))

Projectors are in the mail on the way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-93...QQcmdZViewItem

getting some black mesh to stop leaves from getting stuck between hood and windsheild.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
CUPHOLDERS!!! Thinking about playing with fiberglass to make the mold and covering with leather or vinyl. Inserting them into the center console. attach it to the screw under the carpeting. ))
Being done right now...lol...i'll post pics once i finish...
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e 3.0L
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
Being done right now...lol...i'll post pics once i finish...
I love to see a cup holder mod that looks good so i can bring a cup of joe with me in the morning
Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 PM

1986 300E
Well good and bad roadblock for me

Hopefully guna pic up a 1990 Honda CR-X to fix up and sell to make some money to work on my car.

but, knowing me. ill still work on the 124 just as much.

Ya, i definatley would like to see what you come up with!

Im really trying as hard as i can to Not drill any holes or change anything that would alter the car itself. For some reason i like preserving my car, just in case. ((Although i know its kinda stupid to))
plus, that would make things too easy!

Im leaning more and more to making my own body kit to fit on my car. sence there all made of fiberglass anyway, and i have the recources. Ill have a go at it.
Anyone know how hard it is to work with fiberglass?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:35 PM

1986 300E
Well i started playing with fiberglass

No clue what im doin
but so far it seems almost like Paper meche... the high quality stuff at least.

-Cup Holder
got the mold im guna use cut out and sanded with styraphome. looks like itll work.
I put two cup holders. staggard. the first one looks like it wont be a problem, the second may be a problem because its under the armrest when the armrest is down.
May end up with just one holder for Driver only. (How it should be )

Sry no pics, camera is at home. ill take some with phone and see if i can get them uploaded.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:35 PM

1986 300E
Guna let 2nd layer dry overnight.

then sand, sand, and sand some more.
then get some bondo to smoooth it all over, sand some more...
and figure out what i want it to look like.

Vynil? black or red
paint? Black/red
wood trim?

Probably guna take the existing carpet and run it up the backside. and do something with the top. Im liking wood trim so it'll match the existing trim.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
if you're planning on vinyl... you dont have to have the surface perfect

less work..
Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM

1986 300E
ya but its still guna have to be smooth...

and im really leaning toward woodgrand to match.
ill photoshop it in and see what i can come up with.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM

1986 300E
New Grill and headlights installed.

Pics and write ups comin later tonight if i have time.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

1986 300E

Cant eaven see the cracked bumper

Found it really easy to just remove the whole grill assembly to change the insert.
Remove the screws that are tucked away holding the grill on (Red arrows), and the two on the side of the grill.
((If you do want to remove the insert while on the car, youll have to move the ruberpiece over to get to the screw holding on the badge and the insert. The green box))

The lights were kinda hard to get inplace, and the instructions were kinda weird. but it was basically plug and play.

...just gota figure out some kinda way to put the headlight wipers on.

Last edited by floodkid; 12-31-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Very nice! All you need are some rims now, and then drop that baby!

What's your tint percentage?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 PM

1986 300E
20% strip

The star is actually tint and was the begining of a lil project for me.
work at a tint shop.
I started working on cutting out different patterns and what not out of tint and then tinting them. i can pm you some pics of Gucci tint that we did on a truck.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM

1995 E 420
new front end looks sick bro!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
hell yeah i wanna see that gicci tint

i have 15 up front, and 5 all the way back
Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG

Cant eaven see the cracked bumper

Found it really easy to just remove the whole grill assembly to change the insert.
Remove the screws that are tucked away holding the grill on (Red arrows), and the two on the side of the grill.
((If you do want to remove the insert while on the car, youll have to move the ruberpiece over to get to the screw holding on the badge and the insert. The green box))

The lights were kinda hard to get inplace, and the instructions were kinda weird. but it was basically plug and play.

...just gota figure out some kinda way to put the headlight wipers on.

good ***** man, nice these lights are awsom i love mine and they look great on yours too man... fix that bumper and lower it and you'll be golden and rims too later.. anyways did you buy the headlights with the projectors that reflect a colorful look on the rojectors or just plain white? cuz if you look at mine they are like purple/blue/greenish without turning them on
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 PM

1986 300E
Thanks!
Ill get pics tomorow and prolly just post on here.

Plain white.
Trying to keep a red/black/chrome color pattern.

So i might change out some of the lights in the headlights to red. If i can find a red dark enough.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM

1986 300E
Cupholders should be finished by next week, depending on how everything goes. (Might be picking up a '90 Honda CR-X to sell.)

so far so good though. the frame of it is set up and good to go. guna go to the junkyard and pick up some actual holders to fit inside of the frame.
and any other stuff i can play with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modding recods for me (Warning- Noob at work)