E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

de-cat..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
de-cat..?

Hey,
I took the catalytic converter off my car and replaced it with a stainless steel tube. However, there is little, if any at all, change in the sound.

Would Remus sound nice on the 4 cylinder 124s? I am guessing that the stock rear muffler is dampening all the noises. Oh and I'm not looking for some boy-racer-ish noise. I just want some subtle noises like the BMWs and Volvos.

Actually, I thought about putting a Volvo or BMW rear muffler in and have the exhaust guy hook it up for me. Would this make my car sound like either of them, ever so slightly? Just an idea off the top of my head!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
You can get away with that in the UK? I thought the environmentalists had a stranglehold on the auto regs there.

If you want a good sound, keep the resonator on, and replace the rear muffler with a magnaflow. I always have great experiences with them. Deep sound with no rasp. My bro had one on his 190E and it sounded real nice. I know they sound great on sixers too...
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

na
If you are in the UK, none of the Magnaflows will pass TUV tests and have no certification papers.

All our specific exhausts are EC and TUV approved unless noted otherwise, and come with certification papers.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 PM

'95 E420 SE
Why no Remus for the 400E/E420 (4.2 V8)?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the earth, and all its future inhabitants, thanks you.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

na
Our E430 exhaust will fit the E420, however it won't be homologated.
Picture shows as one inlet, but in reality it's two to fit the V8s.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM

W124
Originally Posted by REMUS
If you are in the UK, none of the Magnaflows will pass TUV tests and have no certification papers.
Since the TUV test is a German standard and the UK is not part of Germany (despite their best efforts ) I don't think it's an issue.
The Magnaflow will pass an MOT and if registered before 1993 doesn't need a cat.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by cap'n jasper
... and the UK is not part of Germany (despite their best efforts ) I don't think it's an issue.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

na
Our exhausts are also EC approved, they are legal in all the European Community. Anyway, I get your point.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Hey all,
Cheers for the response. I'm only de-catting just to try, cux my cat is stuffed and I have a MB one on order. It will go back on in 2wks' time.

How does the E200/200E W124 Remus muffler sound? I really want to get one but I've heard they are not deep and low as I want, but rather more of a "babbing" noise, like a cheap motorcycle

Any ideas regarding Volvo and BMW noises?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

na
You were misinformed?
All our exhausts are deeper and low, that's the only way to pass TUV and EC tests, we cannot offer louder exhausts, deeper that we can do.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QHgEZvbbFk

He doesn't rev it much tho.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:00 PM

You were misinformed?
All our exhausts are deeper and low, that's the only way to pass TUV and EC tests, we cannot offer louder exhausts, deeper that we can do.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QHgEZvbbFk

He doesn't rev it much tho.
Cheers. This is a 6cyl. Would it sound a lot different if I put it on a 4cyl? Is it even the same muffler? Cheers!!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

na
It's the same muffler design, but we use different part numbers as the V6 requires bigger piping.

The only clips we have on a 4cyl are the following :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5oA_m9bvTM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NkaydmXSXmA
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM

90 300E, 03 E55 Black designo, 06 IWC CLS55
I had a remus on my S320 W140 and it made precisely nothing. I mean spent all that money at the garage and it did nothing. Then I had the sports cats fitted and the center muffler (just after cats) reduced in size, then it sounded good! great on acceleration and kickdown. A gentle deep sound when at standstill being an S class I would not accept it sounding to loud or like a Supra. If it was fast like a Supra then ok, but it wasnt. Worst thing I could ever do is put a loud exhaust setup on a car that is not as fast as it sounds

remus sounds great on BMWs as BMWs are already quite throaty already. So adding a smaller backbox will amplify that. Seeing as the remus boxes Ive seen are only a little bit smaller than stock, they complement BMWs perfectly!

The Remus tail does also look a lot classier and oozes quality as compared to a custom stainless steel backbox. That was something I appreciated when I had it on my S. I just worked with the rest of the system to get it right.

We had a SEBRING backbox on a 230E here in london before. Sounded much better and not silly. I think you may find it at ELITE. Theyre based somewhere in essex. I think they are called Elite Wheels or something close.

Good luck in choosing..
Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

na
Placebo effect right there, we bought off Sebring and the only difference between the 2 companies are the tip designs.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SAMM
I had a remus on my S320 W140 and it made precisely nothing. I mean spent all that money at the garage and it did nothing. Then I had the sports cats fitted and the center muffler (just after cats) reduced in size, then it sounded good! great on acceleration and kickdown. A gentle deep sound when at standstill being an S class I would not accept it sounding to loud or like a Supra. If it was fast like a Supra then ok, but it wasnt. Worst thing I could ever do is put a loud exhaust setup on a car that is not as fast as it sounds

remus sounds great on BMWs as BMWs are already quite throaty already. So adding a smaller backbox will amplify that. Seeing as the remus boxes Ive seen are only a little bit smaller than stock, they complement BMWs perfectly!

The Remus tail does also look a lot classier and oozes quality as compared to a custom stainless steel backbox. That was something I appreciated when I had it on my S. I just worked with the rest of the system to get it right.

We had a SEBRING backbox on a 230E here in london before. Sounded much better and not silly. I think you may find it at ELITE. Theyre based somewhere in essex. I think they are called Elite Wheels or something close.

Good luck in choosing..
Cheers mate! I did consider Sebring since they sounded good on my ex VR6 however, I wanted a change this time!
I too thought about taking off the resonator but what you did was way better (i.e. reducing it in size). Do you know what makes the BMWs sound so good? What resonator did you get for your S?
Cheers!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Placebo effect right there, we bought off Sebring and the only difference between the 2 companies are the tip designs.
Does this affect the W124 mufflers? I would imagine REMUS is no longer manufacturing the W124 mufflers and all that is left are the leftovers? I'm probably wrong but there seems to be too little demand for REMUS to still manufacture the W124 mufflers, though they probably do hold some stock.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

na
The W124 exhaust is still in the '08 catalog, it is thus available. I recommend you try to get in touch with your local distributor.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM

90 300E, 03 E55 Black designo, 06 IWC CLS55
Originally Posted by jeffreyli86
Cheers mate! I did consider Sebring since they sounded good on my ex VR6 however, I wanted a change this time!
I too thought about taking off the resonator but what you did was way better (i.e. reducing it in size). Do you know what makes the BMWs sound so good? What resonator did you get for your S?
Cheers!

Well basically I tried a couple of things until I was satisfied..Everything was with the Remus fitted already. I was basically adapting my system to work best with it, rather than just take it off and start again.

So the first thing was I took off the centre box and just put a straight pipe in its place. Sounded ok when at stand still. BUT OH MY goodness when you accelerated quickly it sounded so Stupid! Like a loud WHAIL sound, it was so ridiculous I just did a U-turn and went back to the exhaust shop.

So took that off and put a long and narrow box (very rectangular shape not square). Sounded better but a little too loud still on acceleration and obviously wrong sound for the car.

So took that off and basically got a SMALLER version of the original centre box I took off initially. So it was more or less a Small SQUARISH shape, where all the sides were almost equal in length. I'd say it was about 30-35 % smaller all-round than the original centre box that was removed.

Off course, I then realised why there was such a loud whailing sound when I put the straight-pipe on there instead of the box. It was because all the pressure coming through two pipes and then the two cats was literally SLAMMED into the single straight-pipe that I put on there and so it produced an extreme sound WAY past the limit that I wanted. So it required a little dampening/muffling and the small squarish (or oblong) box did the trick.

Then I had Sports cats put on and more problems came as it messed up the sound by adding a HISSING sound that sounded more like a leak than a King-Cobra. So after a bit of ignorance by the shop I suggested it was because the Sport cats were smaller than the stock ones so the pressure difference going into the already modified centre box was causing this sound. So I suggested they fit a tiny muffler about 20cm in lenght, just AFTER the cats and just BEFORE the modified centre box/muffler. Problem solved and the car felt like it was peppier upon acceleration and when I revved it it seemed like it was breathing easier.

I think the systems in Mercs is designed to be as dampened as possible. So it makes sense to just go to the centre box and the rear box and just reduce them in size by around 30%. That way you shouldnt have an annoying drone when you are on the freeway/motorway doing 70mph but it sounds like youre in a light aircraft...

Thats the policy that I have adopted with my Mercs. With my STi its a different story for that bad-boy!
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Cheers Sam. Very informative. I'll probably order the Remus and see how everything goes. I'll probably end up doing exactly the same as you did though! I hate it when it's too noisy. I just want a really subtle sound, exactly like the BMW 6cyls and Volvo 5cyls stock!!

Thanks once again mate!