E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

new member 91 300E Ice Blue 63K needs assistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300E 63K miles in Ice Blue
new member 91 300E Ice Blue 63K needs assistance

I just picked up a one owner 300E with only 64 K miles in Ice Blue my fav color. Car is almost perfect inside and 8/10 exterior...

The car has been well maintained by one owner and I was able to retrieve the service history from the dealership knowing that the big 30 and 60K maintenance - oil and fluid changes, brakes, a/c and other issue were taken care of.

My drivers power seat goes up and down unevenly so there must be a stretched cable or equivalent. I am assuming this is a common failure on this car and would appreciate the expertise of someone who can tell me to proceed and where I can purchase parts wholesale preferably on the west coast...

I plan to install the glass Euro headlights with clear corners and replace the chipped up front bumper guards as well as get either 16 or 17" aftermarket wheels on lower profile tires. Tire rack has a 5 star 17" Sport Edition wheel for a good price and it looks great. Was going to go for Avon M500 or Bridgestone RE750 tires to set it off.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I can't stand broken bits in my cars and like to fix everything and keep it that way...

All the best,

Maui
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
A common problem for these seats is that they start acting up and it is 9times out of 10 that the seat switch is in need of repair. This does not mean replacement, rather carefully taking it apart and cleaning all the contacts. Try a search on this one.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the cleaning of the switch. I haven't actually done it myself (I tried taking apart a spare one and the parts flew everywhere!!) but I should do in the near future. My passenger side (driver's side for US cars) switch is acting up too .. It's really bothering me..
Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Almost a Member!

1991 300E 63K miles in Ice Blue
seat cable repair question...

Today I checked the seat more carefully and its only the right lower cushion ( what you sit on) that is not working properly. I assume it is a cable problem.

Two further questions: What are my options for buying low cost OEM parts preferably on the west coast as I am in Maui Hawaii.

Was anyone done a writeup or can tell me how to repair or replace the seat cable??

These forums are great as it allows us to keep these cars with out getting killed on maintenance. At least that was my experience with a 740GL Volvo...

Thanks to all for helping!

Maui