E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Turbo..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo..

OK. I've decided to bite the bullet. The tiny little M111 2.2's lack of grunt is starting to annoy me.

I was wondering if anyone know of, or has, a set of the Mosselman (or anything similar) turbo kit designed for this engine. If not, I'll have to buy new from Mosselman, the website of which is currently rather fooked up.

I apologise for the cross-posting but I hope you understand that I would just like to get as much responses as possible before throwing more $ at the thing.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-20-2008, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i think it would be easier to just buy an e320/e420 and just move all your mods over to the new car. you would have way more power, and you are going to paint this one anyway, so just do it to a new one. the prices on our cars has tumbled, it would be much more cost effective to buy another one with a bigger engine than mess with a turbo, in my opinion... possibly more reliable too
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
i think it would be easier to just buy an e320/e420 and just move all your mods over to the new car. you would have way more power, and you are going to paint this one anyway, so just do it to a new one. the prices on our cars has tumbled, it would be much more cost effective to buy another one with a bigger engine than mess with a turbo, in my opinion... possibly more reliable too
Cheers mate. I, too, would much rather have a E420. However, the majority of W124s in Hong Kong are E220s. There are only a handful of E320s around and I wouldn't bother getting them really, considering the amount of time, effort and money I've thrown into my E220 now.
Too bad engine swaps are illegal ... My country is mad. Even when it was under British rule engine swapping was illegal. Yet in UK it is legal.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
How hard would it be to get one brought in from another country to you?
Or maybe talk to a used car place and see if they can get one. I know around here the dealerships can get most of the "average" cars very easily.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by floodkid
How hard would it be to get one brought in from another country to you?
Or maybe talk to a used car place and see if they can get one. I know around here the dealerships can get most of the "average" cars very easily.
Cheers mate. The regulations in Hong Kong are particularly tight. I did think about importing a used E36 AMG/E420/E500 to Hong Kong, since I'm in UK now. However, to get it on the road, there are MANY tests to be passed and I would have to pay the tax again. Making the whole thing not viable in monetary terms.

Thanks for offering to help though. I appreciate it.
Jeff
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
So you can mod the engine with a turbo but no engine swap?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 AM

The offence is somewhat less serious for modding. All you have to do is to take the mod off and get it inspected by a government inspector and then pay a fine. However, if you have an engine in your car which is not declared (and none can be), it's considered to be a very serious offence. You have to get your car inspected annually by the government inspector anyway and they will check the #s on the engine and chassis etc. They usually don't care too much about mods.

I mean, I can get my car through the annual inspections no problem even if I swap the engine, but I just don't think it's a risk worth to run.

If I'm not mistaken, the turbo can be taken off without too much work? Swap the ex manifold and just take off some pipes? Sure I'm making it sound like a 2min job but I think that's all that requires? I mean, all I need to do is make the car run and can be tested by the inspector LOL he wouldn't care if I have an intercooler which does nothing