E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

"Fatal" Starting Problem - & I am scared....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fatal" Starting Problem - & I am scared....

Well, today, I was installing my HAM radio in the car. The car drove just fine all day, started fine all day. At around 6PM I began working on the car, installing the mobile radio unit. It was going well, and lasted until about 10PM. I must note I had the car turned all the way over (just before ignition) for a good amount of time during all of this. When I was done, I decided I should go out and give it a spin. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't start.

Well, Chupper's got a bunch of electronic crap in his car, so he probably drained the battery, right? (This is what everyone around me assumes) I think the answer is no. I hear it trying, and it tries just fine. It's got a new Die Hard International in it, and I hooked it up to the house power after about 45 minutes of trying. (Eventually, I could hear the battery getting tired). Still, nothing.

It's like the car isn't getting gas. I must also note I am spotting a leak from the front of the car. Is this getting to some spark plug or something, prohibiting a spark? THe leak doesn't seem that bad, I don't see much on the floor...

I am not really a car guy, more of an electronics guy. I do know I was getting enough power. When I have trouble starting it, I immediately turn off all electronics. I should probably also tell you that the car was having problems starting hot a few months ago. I never got this fixed, as it went away in September and hadn't had problems since. As the weather gets colder, the car takes longer to start, but it always started on the first try. This is the first time where the car just hasn't started for a whole hour. The problem of not starting hot could be resolved by letting the car sit completely off for 2 minutes.

Yes, yes, it got started at 11PM. I took it out for a drive, and let the alternator bring some juice back. When I pulled back into the garage, after about my 6 minute trip, I tried starting it again. It hesitated for about 1 second, but then started right back up. I tried this three times, and they were all successful.

Now, like I said, the car did start. It will probably start tomorrow morning. But I'm afraid it won't start somewhere else, when I won't have the time or the access to electricity to constantly keep trying... any hints?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mecedes-Benz 400E
The only thing that I can think off since your battery is fine is that maybe since the key was left in the "on" position for so long that it triggered something with the fuel supply. Because the car has an electronic fuel pump that is turned on when the ignition switch is turned to "on" and goes off in about 10 seconds when the engine does not start. Leaving the ignition turned to "on" for so long may have set off a safety feature stopping the supply of gasoline beyond the fuel pump (like a fuel cut off that happens in an accident when the engine shuts down and the ignition is still on). I would think this is a problem that would happen very rarely and would be a ***** for a mechanic to find so I suggest leave it unless you can find out the exact problem.