E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

93 500E coolant leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 500E coolant leak

Hey everyone, I have a 1993 500E and recently I noticed that my engine coolant level light was turning on and off, mostly staying on. Today I added some coolant to the reservoir and the light stayed off. Then, as I drove the car later, the light came back on (still going off randomly as well) and I checked the coolant tank - empty. I looked under the car; found a puddle and this:

Anyone have any ideas as to what exactly is going on here? Is this something I can fix readily or will I end up having to take it to a shop? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
wow nice...that looks ugly. i'd take it to a mechanic, but i'm not very mechanically inclined
Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smell coolant in the cabin? Could be heater core.

The reserviors crack too with all the heat the motor gives off over the years, but it would just leak to the belly pan.

If it is heater core = $$$$ Good luck .
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 PM

'95 E420 SE
FYI: on my 420, one of the molded hoses that exits/enters the heater core and passes through the firewall and goes back into the engine compartment split. It caused a coolant leak that exited right behind the driver's side tire. I traced the leak back to the origin and discovered that it was actually filling up the tray right below the brake master cylinder until it got too full and then it drained (by design) through a tube that exits at the rear of the tire. I thought at the time that the location of the reoccuring puddle was about the wierdest location imaginable for a coolant leak!

Luckily, it wasn't the heater core itself, but sadly the access to that hose is as bad as the core and was a pretty costly repair based on the cost of the part (most expensive hose) and the time it took to get at it and replace it(about 6 hours).

Sounds like you probably have the same dilemma unless your puddle is behind the passenger tire. If that's the case it's likely either the reservoir or overflow tank that has cracked, or it's the other hose similar to the one I mentioned, but is located on the other side from mine (passenger side). I had both replaced at the same time FYI.

Last edited by ShanMan; 01-31-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 PM

1991 Euro 500E
I had a very similar problem with my 91 500E, turned out to be one of the hoses going to the heater core was ruptured, $64 part, all is well now.

Best thing you can do is get one of those pressure testers and place it on your coolant overflow tank and pump it up then listen or watch for bubbles or flow, that way you don't have to troubleshoot while the engine is running and low on fluid. If you don't have one your local shop should.