E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Casualty of northeast temperature fluctuation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 300TE 4Matic
124s have a lot of problems and and most of it is bad engineering.
The electrical is especially horrid.
A lot of the design is just plain stupid.
No where near the "best engineered cars in the world".
So what, they also have a lot of charm.
Most also have cracked wood.
Its not actually the wood but the clear coat on the wood that cracks.
sand it off and use spray urethane.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by MediumKahuna
The electrical is especially horrid.
A lot of the design is just plain stupid.
No where near the "best engineered cars in the world".
So what, they also have a lot of charm.
Most also have cracked wood.
Its not actually the wood but the clear coat on the wood that cracks.
sand it off and use spray urethane.

"Bad engineering"...please expound !!!

You're showing your lack of knowledge of the W124.
The design was done in the mid eighties and it was at the time truly the "best engineered caar in the world"

If they are maintained they have minimal problems...most of what "new" owners complain about can be attributed to lack of maintenance by prior owners.

I bought my 300CE new in May of 1988, dealer maintained and it is the best car I've ever owned, and I have owned quite a few...currently the 88 300CE, 71 280SL, 99 C43 and 03 G55....

Can't say the same for newer Mercedes....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Clearly, any other vehicle.
haha! that was hilarious!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Just calling it as it is, you know? Gotta keep true to my roots
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Geh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by MediumKahuna
Bad Engineering?

Your face is bad Engineering
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
Originally Posted by ksing44
I’m not miserable and I am not a hater. The car really was pretty good for the first 10 years. I’m just chronicling my experience. I said, “I am sure these things happen in other cars too, so I really should not be surprised”. You guys get so mad. I admit that when I first realized how many things were going bad for me I did get a bit frustrated, but I think I am past most of that now. In fact it really is getting to be funny how many things are wrong with my car. It still goes, so I’m driving on for now.

Maybe I did get a lemon, although I have seen virtually all of these things chronicled by others on many forums. Maybe I was just unlucky to get all of the problems. The wiring harness is associated with certain years, so that alone could have been avoided by purchasing an earlier year. I also said in the first post that if I had MBTex I wouldn’t have the leather problems. The head gasket seems to happen to all of the straight sixes, but I could have avoided that by getting a V8. The phone thing is kind of silly, but I do wish Mercedes had made a plug and play digital replacement of some kind. It seems like it would have been easy to do. Maybe I just got the wrong W124. Maybe you guys really should feel sorry for me and not make me feel so bad about having a bad W124.

I do have to say that my problems are not from poor maintenance. The car was always garaged, exterior was always waxed, a custom fitted sunshade from Mercedes was always in the window, the interior was always clean and I even treated the leather with Leatherique or simple leather wipes. All maintenance was done on time by the books at a big dealership, until about 96K miles, when it seemed they had lost their usefulness. I don’t think it is my fault that my car is self-destructing! Please don’t blame me. Actually, that was part of my frustration. I thought the car should be doing better, considering how well it was taken care of. I was wrong.

I think you guys are being mean to me.
only on for this:::
okay you want bad take a look at my car it is a pice of **** nothing works right. the thing get worse every day. i have to say for a car that is 20 years old mine still runs. it looks ugly runs okay if it is not to cold out.
i would want nothing but a benz. with all the problems my car has it is a work of art still. this in my mind is one of the best cars ever built. for a car that is getting older and older there is going to be problems that come up and there is nothing you can do about it but sell of fix it and hang on to the car as best you can. my dad got my 260e 10 years ago and we have spent 15k on it the thing will not die. i have to say i can live with it looking like crap as long as it runs and gets me from point a to b. i know i have big plans for my car but i could wait it is not important to me. i want it to look nice and run grate but i will wait

im glad i got this as my 1st car and not the BMW i wanted to get. i have to hit the dash some times to get the dash lights to work some times the lights are dim and dull at night the transmission clanks in to gear but shifts smoothly it dies on hard corners and leaks fluid all the time the right front brake screams with over use on the brakes. the accelerator gets stuck if i do not warm up the car when i 1st start it speekers pop on and off over hard bumps lights burn out and fuses pop and die all the time.

i could go on for 8 full pages if i wanted to but i deal with the problem and know that i only need 850 bucks to fix all that is wrong with my car.
i love this car and would only get rid of it if i got another w124
i know i just *****ed alot but for all the problem it makes me happy to know i have stuff to work on and have work to do on my car.

if you talk to any one who has a nice car or custom car you will learn the will never be happy with it ever there is going to be some thing that bugs them or that they have to fix it is life!!! it is that way with all car and becuz of that there are mechanics..................think if there was never any thing wrong with cars we would all be fat dumb and happy and never know any thing about cars and how to fix them ......... im done in going to jurk off and go to bed FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK me yeas i suck as a person if you dont like me get the **** over it
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
ksing44 i am not being a *** tords you. im just saying we all have problem with our cars it is how you handle that problem with your car and make it a positive that matters. sell if you want keep it if you want it is all up to you and as i know some people on here are jerks oh well. i come on this bord for one reson to see other w124s and get help with mine.........or get ideas for what i want to do to mine
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I will try to improve

I'm going to try to do better. I will try to only bring up problems when I think you guys can help me fix them. Perhaps I have complained a bit too much, but I think some of it was justified considering the wild claims about how these cars are almost immortal. Some of it was also absolutely necessary just to let out some of my own frustration.

I really do like/love my W124, or I would have moved on. I used a girlfriend analogy in my signature and I still think it is true for me. It may also be a little like being married. I like seeing younger pretty girls at the gym or where ever, but I wouldn't give up my wife to try one of them.

I am looking forward to spring, to cleaning my car, and to maybe fixing a thing or two.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Geh
Bad Engineering?

Your face is bad Engineering
His face aside....

Which would you rather have today, "bad engineering " and all ?

1986 300E
1986 Audi 4000
1986 BMW 525I

The choice now is no different then the choice in 1986....
If the W124 wasn't so well engineered for the time, they wouldn't have sold so many, and there wouldn't be as many "living" examples !!!