E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Advise on the 92-94 400E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Advise on the 92-94 400E

Hey guys,

I am new to the Forum as I am getting ready to purchase a 91-95 E-class. ( i love the styling of those years) I have come across about 3 400e's with the 4.2 v-8. I was hoping you guys could give me some insight to the car. I have the following questions.

Performance: I am an overall performance guy 0 to 60 is very overrated to me. I am looking more at drivability. How do you like your 4.2 does it have a significant leap form the 3.0 and 3.2. Is everything that goes along with the operation cost of the 4.2 worth the performance payoff. Does the engine feel like it belongs in that car.

Fuel consumption: Is it a premium only engine, what kind of mileage do you see?

Creature comforts: How does the car feel under you while in it for a long period of time?

Would you buy another one?

Thanks for any input. I am really looking forward to getting my MB. I will be getting something in the next week or two and I am grateful for your input.

Thanks

Gary Daggett
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
Hey guys,

I am new to the Forum as I am getting ready to purchase a 91-95 E-class. ( i love the styling of those years) I have come across about 3 400e's with the 4.2 v-8. I was hoping you guys could give me some insight to the car. I have the following questions.

Performance: I am an overall performance guy 0 to 60 is very overrated to me. I am looking more at drivability. How do you like your 4.2 does it have a significant leap form the 3.0 and 3.2. Is everything that goes along with the operation cost of the 4.2 worth the performance payoff. Does the engine feel like it belongs in that car.

Fuel consumption: Is it a premium only engine, what kind of mileage do you see?

Creature comforts: How does the car feel under you while in it for a long period of time?

Would you buy another one?

Thanks for any input. I am really looking forward to getting my MB. I will be getting something in the next week or two and I am grateful for your input.

Thanks

Gary Daggett
Hello Gary,

Welcome to the forums.

I use to own a 1990 300E but then recently I've moved up and stepped into an E420.

Anyways, let's just get to the point and I'll start narrowing down your questions in the order you asked them.

Performance: It was defintiely an increase in performance jumping into the E420 from my 300E. The power change is drastically noticable. Although, Most people say they love the transmissions paired with the M103 but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two. Basically, the E420 offers plenty of power/torque I need/want whenever I drive it. I would definitely say that the performance payoff is definitely worth the cost of owning one of these days. As they all say - take care of your car and it'll take care of you. I've own this car for over a year now and I've honestly haven't invested too much into maintenance as all the major things were done by the previous owner.

Fuel Consumption: on 91 Octane I can easily do 16-24 MPG depending on my driving style on that particular gas tank. I haven't filled up a full tank recently but for the past couple of weeks I've averaged 180-200 Miles on half a tank. Where as my 300E I would be LUCKY to get 15 or more out of that car. I've only started running over 20+ MPG after I changed my fuel pumps and fuel filter however.

Comfort: There's not much I can say when it comes to comfort - these cars are really great vechiles in every aspects. Mine's not really close to stock but with the set up I have right now it drives perfectly fine and in long trips I'm easily comfortable throughout the whole ride. I drive about 60-80 Miles a day for work and back and I'm pretty content.

So, why I buy another one? YES. My 300E was totalled in an accident and seeing how the car survived and how it treated me so well before that - I decided to get another one. Then again, I'm thinking to get another one perhaps a E320 to retire my current E420 as a weekend car.

Hope this post of mine helps and looking forward to seeing you in a 400E soon. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

- Chris
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 AM

2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
I absolutely love my '93 400E. When I bought it, I was looking at 300Es. I looked at 4 or 5 before I found mine, and the difference was immediately obvious. The M119 V8 is a marvelous thing. Plenty of power, loads of torque, and quite efficient. Like Chris, I get on average around 22-24 mpg on premium fuel in my regular driving. I usually refuel when the light comes on at around 350-375 miles. It's my daily driver and I drive about 500 miles a week. I like the taller gearing compared to the 300E as well. I cruise at 80 on I-95 on my way to work at 2500 rpm. As far as maintenance goes, I haven't seen any real difference with mine. I've had some of the standard W124 issues. Blower motor, A/C evaporator, rear window regulator. But none of those is related to the engine. Mine has had regular dino oil it's whole life, 10W40 in the winter, 15W40 in the summer, changed at the recommended 7500 mile intervals. It doesn't leak or use any oil that I can measure. When I change it, 9 quarts come out, 9 fresh go in, and the level sits in the middle of the marks on the stick from mile 1 to mile 7499. I do have a minor weep out of my power steering pump, but not enough to ever appear as wet or leave a spot on the ground. I would not hesitate to buy another provided it had the same level of care from its previous owner(s) that mine had. Not a '92 though. '92 had lower compression, 10:1 vs the '93-ups 11:1, made less hp/tq by 10 or 15 pts, but actually had a lower EPA mileage rating although I've never really compared notes with a '92 owner to see if there's a real world difference at this point in these car's lives.

Last edited by PaulX608; 02-12-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

1994 E320 (current)
advise on the 92-94 400E

Are aftermarket parts redily available for the 400-420
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
You mean aftermarket performance parts? Not really...besides exhaust, intake, and maybe a chip. But it's all cosmetic on w124's...