E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

182k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
182k miles

I found a 1991 300CE today that looked very good inside and out, had a seemingly good-working climate control, and is priced cheap. The downside? The odo reads 182k miles. That does represent a pretty average driving load for a car in the suburbopolis Atlanta, but it's still lots and lots of miles.

I really want to take it to a mechanic and then pull the trigger, because it seems to be the nicest 300CE I've seen. But the mileage scares me. What kinds of things should I expect to go wrong with the car in the next, say, 20k miles, even if it gets clean bill of health today?
Old 11-23-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so you know, my 89 300E odo reads 300,501.

Here are possible problems...
-Head Gasket
-Oil leak (actually I have this one, but its very minor. I notice oil does leak, but it barely leaves any drops)
-Engine wiring harness problem (I heard somewhere this was mostly prevelant on the M104 though)
-A/C can go (mine is gone, and I don't care, but as long as you turn it on in the winter every so often, you're usually good)
-I've sure been reading a lot of starting problems lately, and I have been one who did suffer from that... not sure if these are common.
-Another big problem is that the driver can fall in love with the car :p

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
I have 240K on mine and it still runs like a charm with no major problems.
Things to check:
head gasket leak, front engine cover leak, rusted radiator, A/C (very expensive to fix if the evaporator turns bad), oil consumption (valve guides/seals)
Have a good knowledgable mechanic have a serious look at it.
JackD
Old 11-26-2002, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Thumbs up

Get the car, you'll have fun. If it's in good condition and you can retrive the record how many pre owners exisited it's a good buy. Get to a mechanic if you like, but be careful it needs to be one who knows MB, but does not come with $-signs in his eyes.
I own two W124 260E with well above 180kmls and they are just fine. Minor flaws, but no biggies. What you should keep in mind is that you should be a bid of a DIY, so you dont have to take the car in for changing a light bulb or windshieldwiper...
Remember the cars are made for German Autobahn driving and even under those conditions they'll last, well kept, for (almost) ever. Mine still go 130mph w/o a problem.
The only thing these engines need is good oil services. My well proven experience is to change oil at about half the recommended milage, and then rather use a cheaper mineral oil and change more often, then spend a lot for the oil and run it for ever.
The checks I would recommend if you take it to a mechanic are:
*compression test
*A/C leakage/pressure test (it's worth it!!)
*a professional transmission function testing
*Power steering gearbox (measurment of play)
*Headgasket (oilleaks!, coolant losses)
*gaskets between manifold and cylinder head
*noisy alternator (can be the brushes or the bearing) both can easilly be replaced if caught in time)

Corrosion is not a problem with that car. If existend at all, it might be in the areas of the jack holes, behind the plastic covers.