E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Searching for the solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Searching for the solution

So i bought my 320 about 3 weeks ago and have been happy with the car but surprised that it has not really felt like the twin cam beast every one talks about. I replaced the Mas air meter, confirmed that it has a new(er) wiring harness and put new sparks in it, a little better from that. I check the codes and I get a 17 which is a generic message for it is not communicating with one or more controls/modules.

So today I was taking off from light and it was normal until about 40mph then all of the sudden it felt like someone slapped a v8 under the hood and the car just came to life. It actually startled me. SO now that I know what everyone is talking about with the power of the 320 I have to figure out what is going on that is dampening the power.

DO you guys know if that engine is variable timing, Any one ever run into a slightly rough idle with intermittent burst of power. Just don't know what to look at next. I need to run a more detailed list of codes but other than that I am not sure.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
So i bought my 320 about 3 weeks ago and have been happy with the car but surprised that it has not really felt like the twin cam beast every one talks about. I replaced the Mas air meter, confirmed that it has a new(er) wiring harness and put new sparks in it, a little better from that. I check the codes and I get a 17 which is a generic message for it is not communicating with one or more controls/modules.

So today I was taking off from light and it was normal until about 40mph then all of the sudden it felt like someone slapped a v8 under the hood and the car just came to life. It actually startled me. SO now that I know what everyone is talking about with the power of the 320 I have to figure out what is going on that is dampening the power.

DO you guys know if that engine is variable timing, Any one ever run into a slightly rough idle with intermittent burst of power. Just don't know what to look at next. I need to run a more detailed list of codes but other than that I am not sure.
Regarding your sig, Noelie Altito must have lived in Nebraska.

Yes, it has variable valve timing but it is stepped. BMW's steplessly variable Double VANOS is far superior, but this was in 1995 after all. Annoying, isn't it? Mine had multiple personality disorder as well. It happens about 3500 RPM, which I think is where the cam shifts to the advanced position. Sometimes it felt like it would not advance as there was no burst of power. I've attached some interesting stuff from the service CDs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VVT_101.pdf (358.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: pdf
VVT_102.pdf (404.6 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by shdoug; 03-07-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Thanks for the info. Looks like there is a lot of stuff to go wrong. I am pulling the head for a head gasket later this summer so I am going to get the head worked. Maybe that will help. I still have to identify what component the computer isn't talking to.