E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Newbie w/ Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
Newbie w/ Questions

I have a E420. As you know the car does not come with remote door lock/unlock. Service adviser who works for MB Dealer told me it is not feasible due to the vaccum design in the way the doors lock/unlock. Anybody here has the remote installed successfully? If yes, I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:42 PM

W124 (E200)
I am not very sure about the E420 but I presumed they should be using the same design as my E200.

I had a remote door lock/unlock security system installed and it has been working fine all these year.

I do have some problem with my previous 200 (sorry, I can't remember what model is that. It might be the W123) but I am not sure is it due to the remote security system. The problem I encountered is that after some time, one of the door will not be able to lock and when I brought it for service, it was found to be the vacumn pump which is faulty.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
You can certainly retrofit a remote door lock on your car.
i had one installed on mine when I decided to have a remote starter system.
(Very convenient when it's -30F outside)
remote starter and door lock system costs me $200. installed.
JackD
Old 11-28-2002, 01:36 AM

1995 E420
Jackd and ccplim
Would you be so kind as to tell me what brandname security and/or remote start systems you used? Is that a Mercedes factory product or aftermarket? Either way please tell me
1) how you obtained the system
2) whether you went to a Mercedes dealer for installation
3) does that work in sync with the existing anti-theft device?
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:52 PM

W124 (E200)
Hi Mdude,

The brand I am using is Leopard and it is an aftermarket product. This doesn't come with any remote start function but if you were to leave the engine off and with keys removed, the alarm will be activated automatically after one minute.

I purchased the system from my own mechanic's workshop and had it installed on the spot. There is totally no MB dealer involved.

As for the anti-theft device that you mentioned, I have no idea about that. Is that a standard device on the E420 or something?

I feel that the brand itself doesn't really make much differences. What you are looking for is the features that suits your need. I can only say that for most of the MB owners that I have met, about 95% of them have such kind of aftermarket security/anti-theft device installed and none of them have any complain so far.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:19 PM

1995 E420
Reply to ccplim

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I know all E Class in 1994-1995 (they only sold E300Diesels, E320s & E420s for 1995, W124 based E500s' last year was 1994) bound for the states have as standard equipment anti-theft devices.

FYI, this friend of mine works as a service bay manager to one of the largest MB Dealers in the United States. He told me never to sell the W124s. In his words, MB doesn't make cars like they used to. Newer models starting in 1996 are no doubt fancier, but they were not nearly as over-engineered (to last) as the older models.

I've also read (forget whether it's Car&Driver or MotorTrend) that Mercedes used to build cars without cost concerns. They would figure out how much to sell the cars for after tallying cost plus profit margin. Starting in the mid 1990's, especially in light of competition from Lexus/Infinitis/BMWs, etc., they stopped the practice and started building cars to certain "price points". What that means is the cars, while still better than most, no longer have the same degree of "excess" built in.