E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New member, new car (for me) + one question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400E
New member, new car (for me) + one question

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a 92 400E with 138K on it. I bought it pretty cheap and have put about 2K into it for maintenance. There are still a few items to be addressed, but I'm set for now.

Background: My last car was a 2004 VW R32. I've always wanted a W124 400E, so after getting rid of the R, I picked this up. I like the car a lot. I think it is one of the last great cars MB built (just my opinion of course). But before you ask why the big switch, keep in mind I'm also looking for an E36 M3 (another car I've always loved). Once I get that, I'll be set in terms of purposeful cars!

I do have one issue/question: the car came with an aftermarket alarm (called Falcon) and a JVC headunit. Both work fine along with all the other electronics. Since a couple of days ago though, I've had a clicking sound from the passenger side. Today the mechanic determined it to be the Becker AutoRadio unit. Since the alarm is wired into the Becker's wiring, we're wondering if the alarm is causing the issue. I doubt that it is but you never know. Anyway, what does this unit do? Is this a common issue? Should I just swap it out and see if the clicking goes away? Where can I get the part (used or new) for cheap?

I've attached a picture of the car and the Becker module in question (along with the aftermarket wiring).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New member, new car (for me) + one question-dsc_0765-large-.jpg   New member, new car (for me) + one question-dsc_0725-large-.jpg   New member, new car (for me) + one question-dsc_0726-large-.jpg   New member, new car (for me) + one question-dsc_0731-large-.jpg  
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
whats up man, and welcome! we have similar tastes in cars, i would love to have an e36 m3 as well, hopefully in the next couple of years when they get a bit cheaper...
sorry, i can't really help with the alarm issue, but hopefully one of the guys on here will be able to give you some more info