E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

AMG Kit installation, need mounting hardware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
AMG Kit installation, need mounting hardware

Located a new AMG gen 2 bumper cover, some side skirts and an AMG ducktail, but have no mounting hardware for the bumper and skirts and I still need a rear bumper.

Gonna do this to the white Sportline, lest the black one start to look like Phamtasticar or Benzo knock offs...everything they've done...I like.

So, the AMG kit is going on the white Sportline...and I am going to keep it two tone. That is what it would have been if it came new from Mercedes with this piece. I can always paint it white later.

17x7.5 AMG 5 spokes arrived today. leaning towards Pilots sized per the definitive thread. Anyone think I'll have any rubbing issues? I am running the stock Sportline suspension and would like to stay there.

I need mounting hardware and lights for the bumper cover and mounting parts for the side skirts. Since I have no rear bumper yet, I will likely not mount the skirts yet. Gonna call Rusty and see if he can tie me up.

And if anyone sees an AMG gen 2 rear bumper cover, I'd sure appreciate a heads up.

Already installed tint, stock bose audio system maintained and updated via Becker...and First gear start module soon coming.

Last edited by RHW; 04-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
wow, good for you!!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
Even with the front bumper on alone, it will look sick!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Far better than the stock 'wedge' look!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
AMG never did two-tone cars. If it came from AMG, it would of been solid white.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Originally Posted by RHW
Located a new AMG gen 2 bumper cover, some side skirts and an AMG ducktail, but have no mounting hardware for the bumper and skirts and I still need a rear bumper.

Gonna do this to the white Sportline, lest the black one start to look like Phamtasticar or Benzo knock offs...everything they've done...I like.

So, the AMG kit is going on the white Sportline...and I am going to keep it two tone. That is what it would have been if it came new from Mercedes with this piece. I can always paint it white later.

17x7.5 AMG 5 spokes arrived today. leaning towards Pilots sized per the definitive thread. Anyone think I'll have any rubbing issues? I am running the stock Sportline suspension and would like to stay there.

I need mounting hardware and lights for the bumper cover and mounting parts for the side skirts. Since I have no rear bumper yet, I will likely not mount the skirts yet. Gonna call Rusty and see if he can tie me up.

And if anyone sees an AMG gen 2 rear bumper cover, I'd sure appreciate a heads up.

Already installed tint, stock bose audio system maintained and updated via Becker...and First gear start module soon coming.
Rich, Congrats on the AMG GenII Bumper and Sideskirts!

the AMG GenII bumper does not come with all the necessary hardware for an proper installation.

There are 6 bolts total you will need to remove from the back portion of the bumper to remove it from the car.

For the front bumper you will need to drill out the rivets which hold the support brackets for the bumper which bolts onto the chassis of the car.

There will be 8-10 Rivets total you will need to drill out for the front bumper alone. Retain the metal plate on the outer part of the front bumper and use them for the AMG GenII front.

Damn, I wish I took pictures of my installation process.

Anyways, Simply go to your locate hardware store and pick up a set of nuts, bolts and washers. I believe I used a 1" long bolt with a 11-13MM socket head. Since you have the metal plates on the outer part of the bumper, use the washer in the inner part inside of each bracket. You'll understand what I'm talking about as soon as you start taking apart your car. I will elaborate more on this subject later.

As for the sideskirts you will retain the OEM bolts on your sideskirts now. You will not need to purchase any hardware for this part. Everything bolts in perfectly.

the AMG Driving Lights for the Front Bumper will be the hardest part to get for your car. I would suggest in getting C36 Fog lights instead and just buy 8MM bolts (5 total per side) along with washers and nuts. Bolts must be about 1/2" long.

- Chris
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks all,
Write up very helpful Chris, any chance of a link to a good light choice?

(Thanks 2Phast) All white may be the way to go here although I may stay two tone until a rear bumper is found.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by RHW
Thanks all,

(Thanks 2Phast) All white may be the way to go here although I may stay two tone until a rear bumper is found.
All-white will really update the look of your car IMHO!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by RHW
Thanks all,

Try seaching various auction sites in Japan & Canada. You'll get lucky if you find a set in ebay.co.uk or ebay.de.

it'll be VERY expensive though!

Also, Paint everything white.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W124, W220 S500 4matic, W140 S500, CLS55 AMG
Just a suggestion for the lights -

MERCEDES FOG LIGHTS
Old 04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bought the lights, thanks ForceDawd!

Chris, it is looking like "all white" is the way to go, BUT, I have worries about rice-burner-look if I go all white. Your car looks GREAT with a blacked out grill, I am not as sure I shouldn't retain some of the original nic nacs like chrome/black grill. Flat hood badge is certain, white out grill...not certain.

Also, is the rear bumper the 'hard to find' piece in this set? It'd look bad with side skirts but no rear bumper, right?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Congrats on the lights. Btw, nothing tacky about monotone white -

Last edited by forcedawd; 04-29-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by RHW
Bought the lights, thanks ForceDawd!

Chris, it is looking like "all white" is the way to go, BUT, I have worries about rice-burner-look if I go all white. Your car looks GREAT with a blacked out grill, I am not as sure I shouldn't retain some of the original nic nacs like chrome/black grill. Flat hood badge is certain, white out grill...not certain.

Also, is the rear bumper the 'hard to find' piece in this set? It'd look bad with side skirts but no rear bumper, right?
Rich, You already bought those C43 style lights? I'm not sure if those are exactly the same size as the AMG GenII Driving Lights & C36 AMG Fog Lights... If you get ahold of Jack here on the forums - He can probably point you to the direction of getting the real AMG Driving or AMG Fog lights he obtained from Canada.

A complete white AMG GenII kitted W124 would look fanatic IMO. I'll dig up some pictures for you to look at when I get home later this evening. Its time to talk you into some mod ideas.

Also, Keep in mind when you get the rear AMG GenII bumper you will need the 1994-1995 Rear Impact strip. It's only around $150 or so from the dealership.

By the way - The car won't look bad at all with just the sideskirts and front bumper. Zorro here only has the Front Bumper and Ducktail...
Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Hey chris....any luck on those side panel clips?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
AMG never did two-tone cars. If it came from AMG, it would of been solid white.
Not really...never say never

AMG was a custom shop and did whatever the customer desired.

The first AMG 320CE widebody was done in white with the cladding and the kit color matched.

The grille was left chrome and the bumper impact strips were black.

I'm looking at a picture of a later face lift E36 coupe, which sure enough has contrasting cladding and no AMG body kit.

You could have gotten the kit, the performance options or both....all up to the owner
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks RBYCC, so these are choices! I think a full white-out is in my future after seeing atobahn's car.

Doesn't look good for scoring an AMG back bumper anytime soon, so I am open to replicas / suggestions...I want a space filler for this wave of work.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by RHW
Thanks RBYCC, so these are choices! I think a full white-out is in my future after seeing atobahn's car.

Doesn't look good for scoring an AMG back bumper anytime soon, so I am open to replicas / suggestions...I want a space filler for this wave of work.
If your AMG rear bumper search fails, then you may want to consider the Wald V4...

Wald is about the only manyfacturer still making W124 kits.

Erubeni had an AMG look alike, but they went out of the kit business last year...

http://www.wald.co.jp/english/catalo...4_v4/w124.html
Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
good find man, hurry up and install...!
i'm partial to the two-tone myself, and left my car that way when i put the kit on. I have never seen a WHITE car that is PERFECTLY matched, if just the cladding is painted to match... you can always see that the paint will look different. if you look at more pictures of the atobahn car, you can tell the slight difference, which might be more obvious in the flesh. darker colors blend in much easier, but for me, i couldn't afford to re-paint the whole car, so i kept the two tone.... just something to keep in mind! either way it will look sick.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

I searched around and found some pics of atobahn's ride where the paint is not so great. If I go all white, I will likely shoot the whole car.

Zed, do you have loads of pics of your ride? I'd like to look at side shots etc, because staying grey would certainly save come bucks. And did you go Wald V4?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
He did the WALD EX kit. It's more subtle than the V4.

I recommend keeping the two tone. On your car, I like it. and it will definitely save you money. But in the spirit of color-matching, you will probably want to have your entire lower half resprayed at the same time to make sure the kit matches the old cladding. If I ever get a body kit, that's what I will do.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Heres a kitted two tone w124 that member AMG560 posted in the pic thread:

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bigpete123
He did the WALD EX kit. It's more subtle than the V4.

I recommend keeping the two tone. On your car, I like it. and it will definitely save you money. But in the spirit of color-matching, you will probably want to have your entire lower half resprayed at the same time to make sure the kit matches the old cladding. If I ever get a body kit, that's what I will do.

If you get a painter who knows what he is doing, he'll take a part from the car and adjust the paint for an exact match....

Or he'll shoot a test match and adjust from there...

Painter did that when I matched the Fald EX and bumper impact strips to the twenty year old shell gray cladding.

Good thing is even if slightly off, and I mean slightly, the surfaces are such that you really can't see a flat to flat surface match !
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by RHW
Zed, do you have loads of pics of your ride? I'd like to look at side shots etc, because staying grey would certainly save come bucks. And did you go Wald V4?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...570&highlight=

this thread has some if you scroll down:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...931&highlight=

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Good thing is even if slightly off, and I mean slightly, the surfaces are such that you really can't see a flat to flat surface match !
For the bummpers, i agree fully... but for the cladding, when matching paint, it becomes a lot tougher... even half a shade off looks quite noticeable when it runs a foot high across the length of the car...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
I imagine if you have a full bumper replacement like the AMG Gen II, there's not much extra labor involved with just having the side cladding sprayed at the same time. Surface prep isn't terribly difficult because the surfaces are relatively flat. I would just rather have it all done at the same time to be sure.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...570&highlight=

this thread has some if you scroll down:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...931&highlight=

For the bummpers, i agree fully... but for the cladding, when matching paint, it becomes a lot tougher... even half a shade off looks quite noticeable when it runs a foot high across the length of the car...
I thought he was considering leaving the cladding in the contrasting color.
That is what I meant...matching the kit to the contrasting color of the cladding.

Color match to the body would be possible but a bit more difficult.
There still will be a very slight difference due to the different material, but not noticeable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Kit installation, need mounting hardware