E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

new piston rings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D 1993
Question new piston rings

Hi I am new hear that because I have just acquired a 1993 300D, and I love the car, I am willing to do some work on it.
The body is in good shape only a bit of surfise rust . but there is smoke coming from the dip stick and oil filler cap, I have been told I need new piston rings.
So my question is, how easy is it to fit new piston rings ? can it be done without taken the engine out of the car? , like underneath the car through the sump . as I think this would be a cheaper alternative to buying a recon half engine .
Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
piston rings

You can do it with the engine remaining in the car but not without crcking off the head. You remove the pistons through the top of the engine which is much better than removing the crank to take them out through the bottom. You are basically looking at a full in chasis rebuild. There is a short list of all that would be good to replace since you are going to be in there anyways.

Piston Rings
bearings for pistons (you are going to have them off anyways)
full gasket kit (head, exhaust, intake)
head bolts (may not need them. check to see if they are one time use also called torque to yield and the Germans call them "stretch bolts")

Suggested.

Send the head to a machine shop and have them acid bath it, check the valves and plane the head. It will cost around $200.00 but you will have a practically new engine. I personally never put a head back on without it being machined but this is totally optional.

These cars are very well built and if you have good info and specs they are alot of fun to work on.

Good luck

gary
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D 1993
Thanks for the advice, it will be a lot cheaper than a recon engine at £1650 .
I don't have much money but I have the time, and tools to do it , I will post back on hear to tell you how easy it was