E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Another Mod Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Or you could scuff the clear and spray tint them with a translucent paint...hobbyshop tint spray or even VHT! Try that...getting it all the way down to the wood will be a BISH.
Yeah good call...lol

If I can snap some pics later of my interior, do you think you could do a little work on them?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
To me, without the woodgrain showing and only solid paint, the trim pieces will look very plain or bland. It works in darker interiors for some reason, but I think paint will disappoint you.

and do not, I repeat do not, sand those pieces. You are almost guaranteed to blow through the wood veneer. You need to use a chemical stripper to get the clear finish off. I'm not sure what material the clear finish is, so I'm not sure which stripper to recommend. But I'm sure somebody on one of the MB forums knows the answer. I saw a tutorial where a guy did this on his w126... I think it was on mercedesshop.com. He used an erasol (sp) spray can of stripper.

You spray it on, let it sit for a while, and use a putty knife or scraper and scrape the old finish off. Then you clean the wood, carefully sand by hand with a fairly fine grit, stain, wet it with a sponge to raise the grain, then sand with super fine grit, then start applying layer after layer of clear, buffing/sanding between layers... then you polish your last coat. It's a long and painful process that takes TONS of patience, but if you do it right the hard work will pay off!

But don't sand it!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Or you could scuff the clear and spray tint them with a translucent paint...hobbyshop tint spray or even VHT! Try that...getting it all the way down to the wood will be a BISH.
I tried it and it doesn't look right, you can barely see the wood grain.

I think the wood needs to be re-stained (or dyed) with a brownish red stain. The high gloss clear finish takes a lot of sanding and polishing to get right, but I think this would be by far the best solution for this car.
Like I said on my other post, my current project is to remove the clear and add a layer of veneer, stain it, and clear coat it. I'm thinking of grey/silver stain on wood...

Like this...
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
Damn you Zorro, I painted my interior like that too. All the woodgrain is now black and the grey are still grey, suits the color of my car inside/out. Any cool looking seat covers for our cars? The cusions in my car are cracking in too many places.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Haha, welcome to 2003 when I first painted them!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Lui
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300e
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
I tried it and it doesn't look right, you can barely see the wood grain.

Like I said on my other post, my current project is to remove the clear and add a layer of veneer, stain it, and clear coat it. I'm thinking of grey/silver stain on wood...

Like this...
I was hoping there were some others with this idea - exactly the color I want for my center console, and my car is black/black interior - one day. . . .

I wanted to do this myself, but was afraid of the results (not getting the clear right). I also thought of finding a thin pre-stained thin veneer, wetting it,and forming it to the console wood peices, but I think that would be more difficult. Hmmm

P.S. I found the website mentioned earlier here: http://boostnbenz.1baddsm.com/DIY/Wood/

Last edited by Lui; 05-20-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: website