E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Can the front brakes from mercedes 400e be fitted to 300e?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300E Euro Spec imported from Japan

I've just bought a eurospec 1989 300e with only 72,000 km. It's complete with books/service records from Japan, where it was a diplomatic car. My mechanic is scrapping a 92 or 93 E400 and I'm going to swap the side mouldings and possibly the bumpers as well as the door handles which all have nice chrome accents. I was considering swapping the sway bars and the brakes, although he says I might have to do some suspension mods/swaps like the knuckle joints etc. I will be buying four used 17 inch AMG Aero II's for summer and keeping the existing 15 inch alloys with winter tyres. Anyone knows if the brake mods might cause a problem?

Any suggestions for other possible worthwhile parts changes?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
The E420 brakes will fit. I highly doubt you will have clearance issues with the brakes in regards to the steering knuckle - Brake line might be an issue but I would just use stainless steel brake lines for that.

I don't know why your mechanic is saying you'll have to do suspension mods for the Sway Bar swap. You'll only need to purchase 400E/E420 Sway Bar bushings but other than that the sway bars fit perfectly.

If he has the interior pieces and the same color I would personally swap the door panels and the door speakers. the wood and there some other items I would do as well.

Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
How about 2002 S-Class calipers on a 300e? Bigger rotors too...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Yep, easy and straightforward transplant.

Even SL600 big brakes bolt right on...just make sure your rims make the clearance.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Others have had problems installing R129 brakes on the W124, so keep that in mind. You would be better off with the 400e brakes, they are a easy bolt on, the only real work needed is either removing the rear backing plate or cutting it for the larger rotors.

I have a write up on installing 400e brakes on my 190e, process would be almost identical to the 300e. www.2phast.com/190e
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 PM

89 300E Euro Spec imported from Japan
Thanks for the replies Guys.
Chris, I'm sorry, he said I would have to change the knuckles for the brakes, the sway bar was not a problem. THanks for the input too 2phast.
The interior of the 400 is black leather, but the car has 270,000+ km on it and the front seats, altho' fixable are waaay more worn than the blue fabric seats in the 300. Yes, I said fabric...it was a left hand import from Germany to Japan. I'd have to change the dash and other trim pieces to match and they're all worn...vs the heater control wheel and other switchgear which look brand new on the 300. It has the adjustable headlights, warning triangle in the trunk, even a nifty rechargeable flashlight on on the driver's door. He was doing the head gasket and front seal around the distributor mount and said that the valve gear was like new. I had a look at the block as well, it's still painted as if it just left the factory. I can't wait to get it out on the road in another week or so. Some of the moulding swaps will have to be done next moth tho' as his son, who is good at that detail stuff, is doing university exams right now. I suspect this car doesn't have the second gear start, as from what I've read, that's for N. American cars only. another nice thing is that next year it'll be 20 yrs old, and as a classic car, won't have to go thru' the emissions tests etc. I expect that it'll probably pass easily at that mileage, but still it'll save me a couple hundred bucks every two years.

P.S. the wife is pissed that she'll be getting the Infiniti. The 190 was her car after she got her licence and she likes it more than the Infiniti too. Told her if she was good I'd get her a B200 (gently used of course) in a year or two.