E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

unusual auto-downshifting problem '90 300E 135k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 300E Blk/Tan
unusual auto-downshifting problem '90 300E 135k miles

My 300E developed an odd issue with the trans a short while ago.

While driving down the highway on a trip of an hour or more, usually when you were on a downgrade, it would for no apparent reason, shift down into third. Once downshifted, it would not return to 4th no matter what you do until you pull over and stop - then once you continued on the trans shifted up through the gears normally and would not repeat the problem.

It did this very infrequently for a few weeks - always to my wife. Then it became more frequent, and was happening during even 1/2 hour trips. Same symptoms, same corrective action.

Last week it did it while I was in the car as well - only worse. This time it downshifted into 3rd on level road, stayed there for maybe a min, then either disengaged (like activating a trans brake) or shifted into neutral. We pulled over to the side, stopped, and started out again and it shifted up normally, but not into overdrive. We took the car home, let it cool completely, then drove it to a transmission shop owned by a friend of ours.

He pulled the trans, and found that the clutch packs are badly worn and breaking apart, that a rubber component that I can't recall the name of is worn out and breaking down, and are rebuilding the trans. This will only cost me parts and the trans did have 135k miles on it, so its fine, but the trans shifted fine before this started and I'm not sure I'm hearing that anyone actually identified the reason for the shift down problem. Perhaps the clutch pack breakdown was causing blockages that were reducing fluid pressure causing the issue? I would have suspected a crack in the valave body or something.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What was the fix in your case? Any comments from any MB trans gurus out there?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 300E Blk/Tan
OK, so here's the resolution anyway. Our friend pulled and completely inspected the trans. He could find nothing obvious like a cracked valve body. He did find that the seals for the torque converter nose were bad. He also said that once inside he did see that the disks and clutches were quite worn even though the car gave absolutely no indication of that when you drove it, so he did a complete rebuild on the trans.

The trans operates like a gem now. S-M-O-O-T-H as can be. Nice soft, yet crisp, shifts. Quiet. It is also very obvious that the car is transferring more power and torque to the rear wheels now. All previous problems are gone.

The funny thing here, is that neiter I nor the trans shop guys would have thought that this trans needed rebuilding based on driving it. Other than the downshifting isssue and a slight hot oil smell, both of which only started recently, the trans performed what seemed to be flawlessly. I can now tell that much of the HP and torque was being lost in the trans, but I never got that impression before now - it seemed fine.

These transmissions must be freakin' rocks! For that thing to be in need of rebuild and still feel that solid - I'm astonished. The PO must have neglected this one like he did the rest of the mechanicals. He kept the body and interior top notch, but he was less than dedicated to the mechanicals.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else out.......
Old 06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
It's crazy how much effort was put into the design of these cars... Like you said, to be broken and feel perfectly fine, thats amazing.