E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bilstein B8 sprint shocks. which springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124, W164
Bilstein B8 sprint shocks. which springs?

hello ppl. very much a newbie here. ive been searching the forums and it seems the most recomended lowering set-ups are bilstein sports (?B6) and H&R/vogtland springs.

wondering if anyone have come across or used the B8 sprint shocks and which springs do u use?

looking at the bilstein website recommended spring height are between 30-40mm. H&R has 2 types of springs: 30mm(HR29-555) drop or 45-55mm(HR29-548) drop. Vogtland springs a massive 30-60mm drop from their website.

will it be okay to run these shocks with the lower H&R springs (HR29-548)?

btw my car is a 230E (not very common in europe or the states it seems). ive got amg styling II 18x8 fronts and 18x9 rear. all these not installed yet. just need to make sure set-up is okay before i do them.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Bilstein B8s with springs from Bilstein

Hello,

If you haven't bought the B8s, buy them as part of a B12 kit specially selected brom Bilstein's lists for your car.

If you've already bought the B8s, try to exchange them for the right B12 kit. Either that or consult Bilstein so you can get their recommended springs to form the B12 kit for your car.

Basically, the B12 kit works.

Some say the B12 contains H&R springs, some say Eibach. Still others say Ventura.

I say who cares. They work and are tuned to your application but be sure you know how many "points" your car has, front and rear, so you can select the correct B12 for your car.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

RayH
Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124, W164
hi. thanx for the reply. ive actually bought the B8 shocks. are u saying the the B12 tuning kit uses the same B8 shocks? i bought my shocks online and they didnt have B12s specifically for my 230E. but it did mention that the B12kit come with H&R springs and lowers to 45mm.

and what do u mean by points? sorry for the silly questions but im very new at this. thanx
Old 06-23-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
B12 Kits

Most B8 shocks for the W124 range (excl. Estates / Breaks) are the same.

Rear: B36-1470
Front: V36-0365

When you buy a B12 kit, you get the above shocks and springs to suit the weight of your car.

For example, my 300CE-24 has the 24 valve 3 litre engine and auto box and radio and that resulted in enough "points" to necessitate the highest rating (heaviest weight) springs.

It was a similar story at the rear.

So, you have bought the B8s? If so, you need to find the right springs. One place to start would be Bilstein. They should be able to advise you of the necessary springs based on the specification of your car.

Failing that, H&R or Eibach should be able to do likewise.

Bilstein, H&R and Eibach should all be able to specify correct springs to work with your B8s if you gove them the VIN number for your car.

So, what are these points?

Mercedes and the after-market people calculate the springs required from the weight of the car, considering front and rear separately. They do this using a points system. The more points, the heavier.

Go to the Bilstein site and navigate to
http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.a...6018004&ROOT=1

That is the page listing all B12 kits for a 230E 124 series.

Notice lines like "number of points front 32-46 / rear < 30 (sees putting)"

This refers to the points calculated from the specification of your car.

That's how Bilstein does it.

H&R and Eibach do something similar.

I'm sure all these people will be happy to advise but DO make sure you get the right ones.

If anyone says, "I've got some springs that'll be OK", without asking you for the points, DON'T BUY THEM. It's like me selling you my raincoat without telling you how tall or fat I am - it's most unlikely to fit!

Bon courage.

RayH