E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Stereo Upgrades, W124, moderate budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Originally Posted by tskolak
I have a 93 300ce Cab. Does anyone know what size the in-dash speakers are? I'm assuming they're metric.
thanks
They are a funky metric size. The only thing which is a 100% drop-in fit are Rainbows, which I would highly recommend, they're worth the ~$140 cost per pair. Click here to see photos of them.

Uh, check that... the price seems to have gone up 20%! They're now $175/pair, ouch. This is the only vendor I know of who still carries these in the USA. I would still pay it though. I have done the work of making a wrong-sized speaker fit in the 124 dash, and the result is never worth the effort expended. If you can find them cheaper elsewhere, please let me know...

Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 500E
Hey RHW, did you order the Jehnert panels with or without the drivers and if so did the tweeters end up being too "bright" coming off the windshield? I'm debating putting down the money to order a set. My other option would be as mentioned above, getting the drop in Rainbow set and then adding some 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" in the doors xover at 50-200hz for some much needed midbass. I'd appreciate anybodys thoughts on this...

Regards
Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Gioffa,

The Jehnerts are not too bright.

Hands down, without any hesitation: Buy the Jernerts. I have 5 124s I've spent stereo money into, and the Jehnert - Sportline is the most satisfying, full sound.

I've spent more and I've spent less. The Jehnerts are the best choice.

And Rainbows are always reported to be a "very good" choice.

The mid bass of the Jehnerts is just better than my other systems.

If you are thinking of buying Jehnerts, PM me, as I think I can help you get best price.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM

300D, 500E, E420
Originally Posted by RHW
If you are thinking of buying Jehnerts, PM me, as I think I can help you get best price.
RHW, do you know if there is a dealer in the USA now, or do we still need to buy direct from Jehnert.de in Germany?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dave, I do not know of a dealer / distrbutor in USA.

But I helped set up a website for a local stereo place and that friendly connection allowed me to pay Jehnert wholesale price for 1 set.

I wired money into their account, and when they were convinced it was there, they shipped my panels. turn around time of a couple weeks.

I may order 1 more set so if one of you is going to order, I think we can continue to enjoy wholesale price.

(Were you already paying wholesale? I thought it a savings, as they were ready to bill me retail)

GIOFFA: Your car DESERVES Jehnerts. Just noticed it's a 500

Last edited by RHW; 01-04-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM

1992 500E
Wholesale price? Count me in! I'm convinced this is, by far, the best way to go. PM me and we'll set it up....

Regards
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by AMGDave

Uh, check that... the price seems to have gone up 20%! They're now $175/pair, ouch. This is the only vendor I know of who still carries these in the USA. I would still pay it though. I have done the work of making a wrong-sized speaker fit in the 124 dash, and the result is never worth the effort expended. If you can find them cheaper elsewhere, please let me know...

just stumbled upon these guys who claim to have rainbows for w124... found them online, never dealt with them or have any connection to them at all:
http://interactiveadconcepts.com/contact.html
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 AM

1992 500E
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
just stumbled upon these guys who claim to have rainbows for w124... found them online, never dealt with them or have any connection to them at all:
http://interactiveadconcepts.com/contact.html
Interactive AdConcepts has partnered with IQ car audio, they are now the same company.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gioffa,
Dave and I are both in a holding pattern at this moment, our stereos are very good or better, so the incremental improvement's not worth the money. We both agree these are the best way to go and are a no brainer when starting from scratch.

PM me if you want to work out arrangements for a set for your car. I also wouldn't hesitate to drop in Rainbows.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by RHW
I also wouldn't hesitate to drop in Rainbows.
I have the stock radio in my wagon. Adding Rainbows was the best simple upgrade I could have done.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 AM

1994 E500
Does anyone have any used Jehnerts that they would like to sell me?

I don't necessarily need drivers with them if you happened to blow your drivers as I might consider using something else.

1994 w124 E500 black interior.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where are you located? I am selling my Sportline and kept the original door parts to put it back if I ever wanted. New buyer is not a stereo person...also gonna let me pull the Recaros, steering box and steering wheel for my wagon.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

1993 300CE Sportline
They are a funky metric size. The only thing which is a 100% drop-in fit are Rainbows, which I would highly recommend, they're worth the ~$140 cost per pair. Click here to see photos of them.

The size is 4.75".

I went with the Cadence Zxs-120 2 way speakers, they sound great and were a huge improvement over the worn out stock speakers. The only problem is that they're geting hard to find. Only $45 when you do find them!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SPORTLINECE:

Do these bolt in, front and rear to replace stock speakers?

http://www.bestaudiodeals.com/products/ZXS120.html
39+shipping

I like the note about special clip in for MB cars.

Certainly looks like a good choice for inexpensive stock upgrade - the Rainbows...I expect a big portion of that price is due to the brand's recognition.

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=205 (manufacturer?)

Last edited by RHW; 07-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM

1993 300CE Sportline
Originally Posted by RHW
SPORTLINECE:

Do these bolt in, front and rear to replace stock speakers?

39+shipping

I like the note about special clip in for MB cars.

Certainly looks like a good choice for inexpensive stock upgrade - the Rainbows...I expect a big portion of that price is due to the brand's recognition.

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=205 (manufacturer?)
I've only done the front so far with these speakers, can't speak for the rears.

They were a drop in except for having to remove the foam that comes around the speaker magnets and to slightly modify the clips on the speakers to fit the thicker mounting pad on the MB. Very easy.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

I love your coupe, btw,
welcome and all.

Post up some pics on the pic thread?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM

1993 300CE Sportline
Originally Posted by RHW
I love your coupe, btw,
welcome and all.

Post up some pics on the pic thread?
Thanks RHW

It's a '93 300 CE Sportline with 68K miles. I found this car back in Georgia last fall and drove it out to California. It is completely stock except for the Depo headlight buckets and the AMG Aero I wheels.

It was in pretty good shape when I got it and had been maintained well, but over the last six months I've been doing a complete bumper to bumper maintenance/mechanical upgrade on it. Some of the parts swapped out included the blower motor/regulator, all steering links, brakes, headlights, all fluids, front speakers, and front stops and strut mounts. Next is the cooling system and I should be done after that.

I've created an album off my account with more pics, I can add some to the pic thread as well.

Sorry about highjacking this thread with an intro.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Close-up photos of Cadence:
http://www.w124performance.com/image...adence_ZXS120/

They fit the front dash only... may fit early 124 sedan/coupe in the rear deck with some mods. Later 124 sedans/coupes have larger rear speakers, with dual tweeters, which is actually a very good setup and perfectly fine for rear fill duty - I would never bother upgrading these. If you have the early type then it wouldn't hurt, but again for rear fill it's not a big deal. Spend the money up front first!!

Wagons obviously have a bit more of an issue due to the location in the door. There was a thread on BW with an alternate solution for wagons, IIRC. Not sure what the Cabbies have in the back.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...ent-cheap.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...uetooth-2.html
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300E W124, 300E W124 3.4 AMG, Audi S3 2002
I just ordered one of these for my amg sedan.

PS: Dave are you getting my emails?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM

1994 E500
Originally Posted by RHW
Where are you located? I am selling my Sportline and kept the original door parts to put it back if I ever wanted. New buyer is not a stereo person...also gonna let me pull the Recaros, steering box and steering wheel for my wagon.
I am in Venice CA- right near the Marina del Rey about 1/2 a block from the Venice Pier.

Did you do Don A's website..?

http://www.exquisitemarketinggroup.com

I was going to ask you for the wholesale Jehnert deal.. didn't know you were selling yours.

I do need a steering wheel.

To contribute to this.... IMHO, amazing thread...

I know we all battle with tuning issues in our cars..which IMHO aren't bad cars at all when it comes to their Transfer function (Ie the acoustics of the car that layer atop the original recording)

I've heard a lot worse cars..I actually think the Stereo that came in the 1994-1995 W124s wasn't bad for stock.

What I did notice is that the stock 4 inch dashboard driver does not have extended frequency response.. and perhaps that was chosen on purpose to reduce the amount of glare and hash you get reflecting off the windshield.

My drivers door midbass speaker went out- so I figure I may as well try and upgrade to Jehnerts.

I already have upgraded my alternator.

In this months issue of TAS (The Abso!ute Sound) they talk about a new app for Iphone 3 and 3GS, ipad and ipod touch)

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools.html

its about $40..and you can buy other modules.

I think that this can be really valuable when it comes to tuning your car...at least you can chart where you were in tuning..So let's say you configure your amps in Bridged mode for midbass as opposed to stereo using dual voice coils... you could tune each system for its best sound and then be cable to switch quicker between each to compare.

I think you get an RTA , SPL, polarity checker, and a Mic in the base application and you can buy other tools too.... go for the after market mic.

I've read a lot of threads and I think it is really important when trying to design a true hi fidelity system to take a few things into account.

1. Transient response- if your speaker cones don't move swiftly and in time with each other… sounds will appear to be smeared. So if for instance you have fast midrange drivers but a subwoofer with an incredibly thick surround and heavy duty cone… that sub will not be able to keep in time with the rest of your system- and lower bass areas near the crossover point will sound muddy and smeared.

2. For stock and particularly for custom speaker installations…. The HAAS effect. Which deals with time arrival differences from the speakers to your ears. Certainly you can try to address this with DSP and time delay.. but IMHO its is a bandaid approach and not a true fix. For the left hand driver for instance in our W124’s our left ear is much closer to the left speaker than the right ear is to the right speaker. Oddly- the bulge in our dash may deflect some of the sound coming from the left speaker to do a 2nd bounce off of the driver side window glass adding slightly more delay to the sound to reduce the HAAS effect. Putting speakers in kickpanels can help with the HAAS effect as the path length increases for the left ear and the ratio of left to right path lengths becomes more equal. But you can have frequency steering (when you hear sounds dive down into the kick panel) and reduced height image. We sit fairly high in our w124’s as compared to some sporty coupes which have a lower driver position that makes kickpanels sound a bit better. I think you should try to physically reduce the HAAS effect as much as possible through speaker placement..and perhaps even crossover choices.. BEFORE thinking about DSP.

3. Signal to noise ratio in the entire signal chain. Signal to noise is like a dirty window. Every component you have adds a layer of dirt. The important thing to remember is this… S/N is measured in db and hence is a logarithmic scale. So for instance 110db is ten times quieter than 100db. And 110db is one hundred times quieter than 90db. So the 90db S/N ratio window is a hundred times dirtier. So adding a 90db component with a 110db component will not give you 100db S/N…. nope… the 90db component is a huge polluter. So if you are really going for great sound… be very careful about S/N in your components. There is a bit more to it than just a plain number… for instance if a component has a S/N ratio that looks bad on paper…. But lets say most of that noise is at 25hz…. It will sound much cleaner than another component that has the same S/N ratio but has most of its noise centered in the midrange frequencies where our ear is more sensitive and more musical content with detail resides.

4. Gain structure. Also very related to S/N ratio… because setting your gains improperly will harm your S/N ratio. For instance, setting the gain of your head unit way up and backing way down on your amp might not be a great idea if your amp has great S/N ratio- and your head unit adds a lot more distortion above say ..3 volts.

5. Speaker placement and direction. Separating your tweeter from your midrange by a great distance is generally a no-no. ie tweeter in a pillar midrange in a kick panel or lower door. Try to keep them close to each other. Keep in mind different diffraction effects when placing tweeters or midranges in A pillars as they will be reflecting off of glass- which is harder than our dash. You can control some directivity with an acoustic lens.

Try to take a string…. And if your drivers are in different places… ie for us our midbass is in our door try to keep the distances for drivers to EACH ear fairly close. One thing to note… crossovers add delay…and can affect phase… so IMHO it is ok for the distances for low frequency sub drivers to be slightly more than for midbass drivers which can be be slightly more than for midrange drivers.

But midrange and tweeters should be no more than 2-5 inches from each other.

Our Midbass in the door is fine as directionality lessens as frequency lowers.

So having exactly the same distances for all drivers might not sound the best because our systems are 4 way sound systems and there is so much crossover delay introduced. If we were 2 way systems only..say a Dome tweeter that can go low and a 6.5 inch driver that can play relatively high - then trying to design with the exact same arrival times for a point source.. would work better...if you use shallow crossover slopes. but for the most point- we do use steeper crossover slopes of 12-24db per octave....so I think that the delay introduced and phase change allows for the midbass and subwoofer drivers to be further away. Since we have a 4 inch driver in our dash which can play relatively high we might benefit from 6db per octave slopes crossing to the tweeter but then using a steeper 18 or 24 db slope to the midbass driver so we can play our midrange louder without feeding it bass frequencies that would make it hit Xmax early at lower volumes.

Using the tools in the above link...might allow for better driver time alignment for the entire system... I have not tested this... it is just a theory I have. But I know from setting up large format home speakers with separate woofer towers such as the Infinity Reference Standards, Martin logan Statements, and Magnaplar Tympani's- that such time alignment issues exist. In the home... they amount to about 4-8 inches of time arrival distance depending on the system.

So think about that when you choose your speaker locations (caveat) ... Porting bass in from the trunk adds even more delay as the end of the port tube is even further from the woofer cone....perhaps this is why some free air subs have sounded good as they are in the rear deck...with the cone closer to the ear than sealed subs or ported subs in the trunk.

Anyhow.. I hope this helps add to the thread.. I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I personally am still debating over running free air in the back deck with JL audio subs (I am considering JL because they make a decent free air sub as compared to other free air subs- anyone have any free recommendations?) … or running sealed boxes with conventional drivers.. Personally I like Sealed boxes- but some have had good results with free air in w124s. I could go on……..and on… but likely this would put everyone to sleep.

Last edited by Golden Ears; 07-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Goldenears,

I was just interested to see if you were a business friend of Don, (confirmed, thanks for posting his site) who days ago protested back to the factory about 124 owners receiving wholesale pricing on the Jehnert door panels here.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM

300D, 500E, E420
For the record, I too am interested in finding a decent free-air sub to mount in the center of the W124 sedan rear parcel shelf. I'd rather not take up trunk space with an enclosure (although I know, I know, the freeair won't sound as good or play as loud as a properly designed box). But we need *something* back there to fill in the bottom two octaves, as even the Jehnert doorboards can't push that much bass (I have them in two cars, btw). A single 10", or pair of 8", would be adequate... don't think a 12" will fit with the 90L fuel tank in the E500E though.

BTW, Golden... since you have an E500... have you checked out 500ESpot yet?
http://500espot.com/forums/

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350, 2006 C350 Sport(made it to 280k, loved it!), 1990 300E
Originally Posted by RHW
I've done several stereo upgrades in w124s, but just did a round that came out real nice and cost very little, thought I'd share here.

The black and white Sportlines got identical systems, the Cab got the same head and amp with a custom sub box:

---Alpine IDAX001 Head Unit = $650 installed with Bluetooth, XM, USB and Ipod connectivity. I skipped CD and DVDs, as I never used them and skipped NAV because my NAV head units are all too dated in just a few years.

This head unit is the begnning of true Ipod friendly head units. It is not perfect, but works almost as well as my ipod - it is a big improvement over previous Ipod controlling head units.

---PDX 5 5 Alpine Amplifier = $500 installed 75x4 and 300x1. Amp is mounted using the original bracket for the Becker receiver up inside the passenger rear fender. This is stealth mounting at it's best. PDX Class D amps: small size, low heat, low power usage, just poifect for our weak old alternators.

---10" W6 Subwoofer in a JL Audio sealed slant box = $400. This woofer box slips right into the cavity in the right side of our trunks. It leans down and points upward into the trunk. I would NEVER again consider a custom sub for these cars unless it was for looks. Tried W1 and W3 subs, skip them if you want to use just a single sub, the W6 conveys more variation down in that rumble low sound, you can hear more going on PLUS you get the thump.

This set up cost very little and hits like it should.

---SPEAKERS: I am running the stockees. The paper woofers will peel away soon enough, but for the moment, I've just done this work to 2 Sportlines and a Cabriolet (Cab details below), so I am waiting on the speakers (SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!!) ZR/XR JLs? MB Quart? Focal? HexPro?

The Cab got the same Alpine head and amp, and then a custom sub box built for a tight fit under the convertible top box. It slides in tight and preserves most trunk space.

---CABRIOLET's SUB BOX: Four 8" JL Audio W3 subs in a ported/vented box. Box is split internally into 2 chambers, left pair is tuned a little higher, right pair a little lower.

The Cab already had upgraded speakers, not sure what they are, but they sound good.

When I replace speakers, I am apt to run the same set up in all 3 cars, front, doors and back. Probably will wait for an influx of car cash or a blown paper speaker.

There are a few stereophiles on these boards, if any of you have speakers in hand or ideas I might be interested in, please drop me a note!

Pics coming, camera out on loan...
Nice!! Did you DIY or did you go pay for install? 90 300E needs help in the music dept.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where are you in the Poconos? I just left my lake cabin, it's the mountain west of Camelback.

That's a real old post you pulled.

No nothing DIY here, and many on this thread have pointed out less expensive quality choices...

I am a creature of habit, moving from one 124 to another, 8 in family, so I use same amps, head units, speakers for consistency. The PDX5 amp, a similar Alpine head unit, Jehnert doorpanel speaker system, and a factory boxed 10" W6 subwoofer.

But this thread is full of DIY options just as good or many better, for less budget. Or you could call Blossum installations, he is in your area and does great work.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
For the record, I too am interested in finding a decent free-air sub to mount in the center of the W124 sedan rear parcel shelf. I'd rather not take up trunk space with an enclosure (although I know, I know, the freeair won't sound as good or play as loud as a properly designed box). But we need *something* back there to fill in the bottom two octaves, as even the Jehnert doorboards can't push that much bass (I have them in two cars, btw). A single 10", or pair of 8", would be adequate... don't think a 12" will fit with the 90L fuel tank in the E500E though.

BTW, Golden... since you have an E500... have you checked out 500ESpot yet?
http://500espot.com/forums/

Hey Dave

You may not like the brand - many don't - but I recently decided to try something unobtrusive and less take-up-room to solve the issue I have in my 88'CE with crappy bass from the rear 5.25" speakers I have.

The product is :
http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2011/subs-THIN-13.html

"did have a picture posted but it was HUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE !
Okay the plan is this thin woofer will be mounted into the top of the F.A.B (first aid box cover) and a thin bottom cut and attached to the sides and front of the FAB. By doing this I achieve
1. better bass than I currently have (not licence plate rattling bass but better than standard)
2. a cutout under the back of the FAB in the metal (may have been for the rear blind motor maybe ???) means no extra drilling other than a small hole in the rear shelf to pass the wire through so it can be connected to the amp in the right rear well.
3. not overly huge outlay $100 odd for something that may work for my scenario and importantly NO LOSS OF TRUNK SPACE.

Cheers

Last edited by stormtigers; 07-18-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: picture tooo big

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrades, W124, moderate budget