E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hello All... Newbie !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300CE Coupe
Hello All... Newbie !

Hello, Not really a Newbie, I owned this 1988 300CE Coupe back in 1997-2001 and I got my baby back !

I have been "lurking" and using the info and great people in this forum to help me get this car back on the road... I just wanted to say thanks to all of you, as for most of my questions, I fwas able to find the answer already here in this forum.

Bear with me --- Here's my story..

Sold it in Dec 2001 to my sister. Her son was graduating from High School and he had always been in love with it and she gave it to him for a graduation present. I had actually let him drive it to his prom ! When I sold it I told them if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I wanted it back ! The only major purchase I had made in my 4 years of owning it was a rebuilt tranny in Feb 2001. He joined the Armay and drove it out to Pheonix, AZ.

In April of 2006 my nephew called me, and asked if he could store his car in my garage as he was being transferred to Korea. I knew he had purchased a couple of motorcycles, an SUV and motorcycle trailer, and having gotten into drag racing, he had a Mitsu EVO. He wanted to store the EVO. I asked him where was the 300CE and he said it was parked and it had been sitting. I asked for how long and he said "Oh, about a year !" I almost fell out of my chair. He had let this car just sit for a whole year !

I asked him if he would be interested in selling it back to me and he said sure ! Needless to say, I immediately contacted a Shipper and had the car Shipped to my house in VA from AZ.

Upon taking delivery, I had to jump the car to get it off of the truck, I could not believe how bad a shape the car was in. The "kid" had let the car just sit since he was no longer into Mercedes style and class but was was now into speed ! Not only was the car filthy to the point that there was actually brown rust on the carpeting, but the fog lights had no glass, there was no antenna, the rear original factory AMG Spoiler was gone, the lower side panels and front spoiler were all cracked, and my chrome AMG Aero 1's had been stolen ! At least he had replaced the Areo I's with AMG wheels...

Upon further inspection, the rotors/calipers/brakes were shot, the tires were slicks, and he had no idea where he had put the Mcgard wheel lock key, buttons were missing on the dash, the car only started in neutral, the key would stick and sometimes would not turn in the ignition, and the Sunroof no longer worked. The paint was still in pretty good shape, some small dings/scratches. One long scratch along the passenger side, where it was pretty obvious he had pissed someone off, and they had keyed his car !

I parked the CE in my garage and started making a list of what I needed to do just to get it back in shape. It had already sat for a year, it would have to sit awhile longer. Oh, when he arrived with his EVO for me to store, I covered it and parked it in my driveway. The 300CE lives in the garage !

The custom stereo I had in the car was completely shot, speakers were cracked and the amps would cut out after a few minutes or so of play. The Custom Security System, with Remote Start, Auto Turn-off upon theft, and automatic window rising no longer worked and would drain the battery !

After completely cleaning the car, that winter I started in on replacing the stereo, and accumulating the needed auto parts to at least get the car thru VA inspection and back on the road.

Next post I will list what I have done thus far and post some car pictures. I will also post a write up on the custom system I installed myself over the winter in 2006, under the Stereo System thread that is going on now.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 PM

1989 W201 1999 W210
That's such a heartbreaking story. I get nervous when I go out of town and my W201 has to sit for a week or so, so I can't even imagine how you are feeling.

Well with a little work, you can get your car back on track. While it may be tedious, it'll be a fun tedious job.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Got My Baby Back !

Here is all the items done since getting the 88 300CE back:

1. McGard Wheel Locks - I was able to remove the wheel locks by hammering a socket over the locks. I was surprised at how easy this was. I figure if someone tried it to steal the wheels, by the time they took to do it, and with all the noise they would be making, they would either be seen and run or get caught, so I went ahead and puchased a new set.

2. Tires - I am a Yokahama man myself, having been part owner of a Porsche Shop and having owned 2 Porsches. But at this point I am just looking to get something that has the look I want, and to get me back on the road. 4 Nexen P235/40RZ17 were installed at all 4's. AMG Valve Caps.

3. Ignition Switch finally Locked Up ! Required R&R lower panel, instrument cluster, removal of steering lock and ignition switch, replaced sterring lock, tumbler and ignition switch - cost 449.70 Yep - I saw the posts, as soon as the key starts sticking replace the ignition switch -- I did not heed the warnings and I paid for it ! Don't wait until you lock up !

4. Cross-drilled Rotors, 1 Caliper was replaced and new pads were installed and Brakes Flushed.

5. Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Plug Wire Set and Spark Plugs.

6. Rear Bilstein Shocks.

7. Rear Spoiler - Replica. In an attempt to save money, I painted myself -- not quite matching up -- even though I ordered paint using my factory paint code. Looking for original AMG, one is on Ebay now shipment from overseas at 199.00 !

8. Antenna Mast Replaced, Motor repaired.

9. Sunroof wiring harness repaired -- lucked out on this one !

10. New Fog Lights installed in the AMG front Spoiler, new wiper blade.

11. Interior under door courtesy lights, dome light rear, trunk light, cigerette lighter, AMG Logo Grey Floor Mats, Various Dash Buttons, lighted
"AMG" Logo Door Sills, AMG Logo Pedals, gas, brake, park and foot rest.

12. Oil Flush, Filter & level sensor, Transmission Flush & reverse lockout switch.

13. Forgot to mention, when I got the car back -- the rear window was cracked... Don't ask me how ! Replaced Rear Window and the glass company was able to special order the bronze glass trim. Yes -- I have seen the Posts - The Trim is bronze --- not black and faded to bronze - but special order original bronze color.

I passed VA Inspection and failed SMOG twice !!!

Non-Mercedes Shop is saying "they think" I may need a CAT. Before I invest in a CAT I may just go for new exhaust system. Car has 178,000 miles and I already had to patch a small hole in the rear muffler.

In the works: Oxygen Sensor, Refresh Air Conditioning - Still R12 system gonna to try the Freeze 12 Kit, estimates received of $600+ - $800 to covert car to R134. Decide what to do about the VA SMOG Test ! Repair and align side, front, rear spoliers - paint car --- Got a repair and repaint estimate from a buddy of 1650.00 --- Same color. Sounds Good..

Recent Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0204s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0207s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0208s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0223s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0226s.jpg  

Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0228s.jpg  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Go My Baby Back... Additional Photos

Here are some additional photos
Attached Thumbnails Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0212s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0214s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0215s.jpg   Hello All...  Newbie !-img_0233s.jpg  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Very nice car! I don't know why anyone would let is sit for a year
I want a ce or a cab but im waiting to sell one of my mustangs...
Old 06-28-2008, 06:43 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Tell me about it !

When my nephew told me he had jsut let it sit -- In the AZ SUN FOR A YEAR -- I was ready to juat fly out there and get it... But I figured it might not be a good drive back - I made the right decision having it shipped... It has taken 2 years for me to get it back to this point... But it has been worh it !
Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
that' a nice looking car man...!
only things i'm not a fan of are the grill and headlights...
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
same way the same with my car but you can put it in to words i cant (crappy English) i almost freaked when my dad told me how long my old benz had been sitting. to me my car is a old family friend. your car is much nicer than mine. that and you have the cash to help it out. i do what i can do time mine to keep it alive. i hope your car sees much more TLC. cant wait to see more of it
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM

1988 300CE Coupe
Cash !

Thanks for the kind words, but as for the cash --- I wish !

I have been upset that it has taken me 2 years to get to this point !

And I still have to pass VA Smog to get it legally registered ! Don't know if you noticed ---the license tags are dead.

Anyone have any thoughts on 300CE passing VA Smog Inpsection ? Failing on CO level. Should I replace the CAT, (an idea put out there by the inspector) and if so, is it better just doing the whole exhaust --- front and rear muffler as well ?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 AM

1988 300CE Coupe
Headlights

Thanks Zed,

I love the grill --- never see myself twice

As for the headlights, I have been looking at the Euros...

And recommendations on what might look good on this model 300 ?

Also, been thinking of swapping out the tailights well.

I seen the red clear and red smoke, and I am just not sure if the look will blend in with the car.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
Originally Posted by PeterGunz

And I still have to pass VA Smog to get it legally registered ! Don't know if you noticed ---the license tags are dead.

Anyone have any thoughts on 300CE passing VA Smog Inpsection ? Failing on CO level. Should I replace the CAT, (an idea put out there by the inspector) and if so, is it better just doing the whole exhaust --- front and rear muffler as well ?
well im coming up to almost 3 months out of registration
my car use to make me relly sick when i was stuck in traffic or walking behind it now it is much better. last is get my motor tuned it is a little out of wack
and get my idle fixed
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM

1993 300E
Nice looking ride and kudos to you for getting it back up to good shape. What part of VA are you in...im in NOVA.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Thanks Zed,

I love the grill --- never see myself twice

As for the headlights, I have been looking at the Euros...

And recommendations on what might look good on this model 300 ?

Also, been thinking of swapping out the tailights well.

I seen the red clear and red smoke, and I am just not sure if the look will blend in with the car.
i think if you get OEM 94-95 tails, it will look sick... that's not a car you want to stray too far from OEM, i think... and maybe some depo euro headlights!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Tails

Zed, Thanks-- I'll check those out.

82Benz, I am in NoVA, I am out in Loudoun County. I used to do all of the Potomac MB Club show events back in the mid 90's. Not in good enough condition to start back up.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 PM

1993 300E
Very nice. Looks like you aren't far from me I live in Gainesville I go up to Leesburg all time. keep us updated on the progress.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM

1995 E 420
Nice ride Petergunz.. glad you got her back! shes a beauty! ..up town baby, up town baby..
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Thanks... Must be old school ! The youngsters don't know the Peter Gunz and Lord Tariq - up town baby --- I am orginally from the Bronx...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM

1994 E320
What a story? Great job on saving your benz! Benz sitting around for about a year!?! How can anybody let a Benz sit around for a year? I can't wait to see mine, let alone drive it! It brings a to my face every time!

Great car! Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 PM

1993 300E
haha yes I'm a youngen' lets meet up for a photo shoot one day along with some other Benz's I would love to take pics of your car.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Sounds good to me, as soon as I get the car smogged (legal tags!) I''ll let you know... A nice park setting with a lake would be nice... I can bring my fishing rod, as my second love is fishing !
Old 07-03-2008, 03:18 PM

Looks good, but please undo that horrid audio install. The speakers cut into the lower panels, the wires no through factory door boots, and the A/V inputs screwed into the dash.

Fix that and little TLC, you have a car I would love to have.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES

Start by changing out your O2 sensor....
If your mixture isn't right before it enters the cat, it's going to be off as it exits...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
that' a nice looking car man...!
only things i'm not a fan of are the grill and headlights...
I'm with you...

The grille with the star along with the stock headlights and the air dam make the front look narrow and tall...

Need something linear to visually make the car look wider and enhance the airdam along with the lowered suspension....
Old 07-04-2008, 01:48 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Thanks much for the feedback.... I just purchased an O2 Sensor, going to give that a try before taking on some exhaust work. I'll let you know how this works out. As for the stereo, the sound is Awesome ! total of 12 Speakers --- But the install could be a bit cleaner -- I did everything myself, and need to take some time to clean things up. Still looking fo some AMG Aero 1's