E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

How to lift engine for oil pan gasket??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 300E, 03 E55 Black designo, 06 IWC CLS55
Exclamation How to lift engine for oil pan gasket??

Guys I damaged my oil pan gasket when I had to take my timing cover off. Now the car is leaking a cinsiderable amount when I drive....

I dont have an engine hoist, so do any of you kind experts know how Im supposed to lift the engine???

Im in Woodland Hills just in case someone lives near by with a hoist!!

Thank u in advance guys,
Take care
SAM
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You kinda need a hoist and you can probably rent one for about $50. I damaged my oil pan in a car accident 5 years ago and i still have the replacement in a box somewhere but i haven't had the time to fix it. Do it right the first time and get a hoist because any other way you might end up doing more damage.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 PM

Exclamation

W124,

thanks for your inputn this point.
It most definately will have to be a hoist as I spent a good 20 mins trying to look for a way to raise the engine without it. It is possible but not with the equipment I have. So it makes more sense to just get a hoist.
However I have a few questions if you have time;
-Is it correct to lift the engine from the hook at the front near the timing cover?
-How high do I need to go? Just a couple of inches?
-Are there any wires or hoses that I must disconnect before raising the engine? Other than the oil level plug and the two transmission hoses on the oil pan?
-Do I need to have any protective material anwhere around the engine as I lift it?
-And finally, where would I rent an engine hoist from? I found a brnd new one at harbor freight on sale for $160, its the 2 tonne one, but for a single use that seems a bit hefty!

Thanks a lot for your opinions and time!

By the way that is an awesome picture of your 300E. Never really seen many early ones so nicely modified. Good on you!

SAM M
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by SAMM
W124,

thanks for your inputn this point.
It most definately will have to be a hoist as I spent a good 20 mins trying to look for a way to raise the engine without it. It is possible but not with the equipment I have. So it makes more sense to just get a hoist.
However I have a few questions if you have time;
-Is it correct to lift the engine from the hook at the front near the timing cover?
-How high do I need to go? Just a couple of inches?
-Are there any wires or hoses that I must disconnect before raising the engine? Other than the oil level plug and the two transmission hoses on the oil pan?
-Do I need to have any protective material anwhere around the engine as I lift it?
-And finally, where would I rent an engine hoist from? I found a brnd new one at harbor freight on sale for $160, its the 2 tonne one, but for a single use that seems a bit hefty!

Thanks a lot for your opinions and time!

By the way that is an awesome picture of your 300E. Never really seen many early ones so nicely modified. Good on you!

SAM M
Hey Sam,

I have not done an engine lift on my 124 yet but here is some general tips for lifting. You want to have a chain mounted at 2 points ion the engine. the hook in the front is one and there should be a hook or location in the back as well. This will help to stabilize the engine when lifted. As far as the hoist weight rating that is with the boom fully retracted and it is good to have a way stonger lift than needed when it comes to this any how. The best way to lift is to hooh up the hoist to the engine and bring up all the slack in the lift cahin then go about loosening the mounts starting from the Trans mount and work your way up from there. even if you only going a couple of inches it is good to at least loosen the trans mounts to prevent damage from torsion. You won't really neede any thing layin over the engine but just be mindful that often times as you lift the engine will want to turn one way or the other so it is not a bad Idea to have some one guiding it as you lift. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
I've taken a lot of engines out on classic mustangs so i learned a thing or two. The advantage of the w124 is the awesome way the hood opens so you don't need to remove the hood.

What you will probably need to take out the engine....

1. a friend
2. Hoist
3. Chain
4. Some thick long bolts or hooks to attach the chain to the engine
5. 6 point or 12 point torx bits not sure?? to remove the engine mounts from the bottom because the drivers side it's almost impossible to remove the bolt from the top.
6. 13-17mm wrench or socket
7. Remove your fan shourd and/or radiator so you won't damage it as you lift.
8. Buy some color labels to label all the hoses and cables before disconnecting them.
9. Some old beach towels ( the wife will get mad even if you don't need them so be prepared )
10. A lot of patience and do it slow! don't rush it and do it right the first time...

You also might want to check and replace the engine mounts and clean the engine while your at it...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 AM

Question

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!

Although alldata does not say to loosen the transmission mounts, I do understand why they should be anyway.

I have a feeling that to get the oil pan out, the engine will only need to be raised one or two inches at most. Just a guess because anymore and Im sure there would have to be a note on alldata saying to unbolt a lot more things!

I am happy that at least there are no leaks on the lower or upper timing covers after I renewed the gaskets. Were leaking all the oil into my alternator and ruined it, so I had to replace that too. Changed the camshaft seal also. Forgot to order the front crankshaft seal though, but thankfully it seems serviceable, for now!

However the leak from the oil pan gasket is enormous! Not so much at stand still, but as soon as I run the engine, whoaaaa!

Any ideas where Im supposed to rent one from? I may just go and buy one and return it. Afterall I hardly think Im going to scratch it or anything. But Id prefer a rental for obvious reasons.

So anyone know where I can rent from? Im in Woodland Hills, California.

Much appreciated...
SAMM