E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E300 1988 Not starting when warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 1988 Not starting when warm

I have this weird problem that seems to occur more often when it rains or when it is humid. The car starts usually fine cold, but after you drive it warm and stop for example at the gas station it will not start anymore. It cranks just fine and I have checked that there is spark when this happens. I have also replaced all plugs, wires, distributor and the fuel filter. I also tried short circuiting the fuel pump relay one time the car stalled so that I can make sure that the problem is not the fuel relay. I've also listened both of the fuel pumps under the car with a stethoscope and they are both running just fine. When the car starts it runs fine. This problem occurs somewhat randomly, you may go days without it then it appears again.

What else could I check? How about the other relay that sits next to the fuel pump relay, is it called Overload Relay or something like that? Or could it be the fuel pressure regulator? I would think this is pretty common problem in these cars as they age. My car has close to 170k miles on it.

Thanks for any ideas!