E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New member (great forum) - Question regarding a 90 300E & 89 260E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Avalon Limited & 1978 Porsche 911SC
Thumbs up New member (great forum) - Question regarding a 90 300E & 89 260E

Greetings all - just found your board today/tonight and I must say, WHAT A GREAT COMMUNITY !!!

I am an avid car nut - started when my father was stationed in Germany and met my mother whilst there - I am now 47 y/o and have found a need for a reliable, dependable "extra" vehicle while I am on assignment in Philly. Having been here already for 3 years (weekdays only), I am anxious to take the train from my home in DC back to Philly and relaxing my beloved 06 Avalon Limited for a bit - along with avoiding the DREARY & DANGEROUS I95 corridor.

I have been looking through various internet mediums (CraigsList for one) and have found a couple of nice E class samples - family owned with all service records and in "ok" shape. Here is the rundown along with my questions:

Car #1 - 1990 300E, White over gray with a blue interior, 106k miles, $3500, but "will take $2500" - needs detailing badly.

The good: Now elderly lady owned since day one, all service records, new brakes, good tires (all match), very nice body, no sign of rust, original Becker radio, all electronics work fine. Interior wood in good shape, console wood is "wrinkled" (is that the correct term)?

The bad: Very difficult to start, new battery but it takes severe pumping and about a minute of turning over. Once turned over, it runs like a champ, very smooth, of course a little sign of oil leak (normal right?) but then, it shuts off after about 10 minutes. What could be the cause? Also a problem, the A/C is not working - no cold air at all although I can hear the motor drag down when the compressor kicks in. Is the Evaporator core the problem or could it just need a recharge (how to tell?)

Car # 2 - 1989 260E, Black over Tan interior, 120k miles, $2900, but will take "best offer" - very nice interior.

The good: Cranks right up (has been sitting for 2-3 weeks), ran like a champ, great oil pressure, drove like the proverbial Panzer tank (solid), new Continental tires (all match), paint is good/fair (needs detailing), son (about my age 47) inherited from his father in Greenwich, CT (always in the same family) most service records available & garage kept until 3 years ago. Aftermarket radio w/ CD.

The bad: Pocket bags on seatbacks are ripped out, couple turn signal lenses are busted and covered with tape, pretty bad scratch on front right fender (black really shows it), Right front window switch is taped over (not working), A/C not cooling (again, how do you tell if it just needs a recharge or a major fix?).

Car #3 - 1988 300 SEL (I know, wrong thread, sorry), grey w/ blue interior,213k miles, $2050 obo.

The good: cranked right up and ran like a tank - awesome smooth ride, great engine, purrs like a kitten. Could be a very nice interior (love those S classes - they are ENORMOUS!) with a detail, no tears - wood in great shape. Aftermarket Radio - all electronics work, no body damage, except the normal wear & tear. Great BIG seats Same owner for 5 years (no other known history).

The bad: A/C cools but the controls would not switch from the front Defrost mode (switch/lever problem?). Throttle linkage takes about 2 to 3 inches to "get going" - probably just a linkage problem or me just being used to my 911SC that just "jumps" - no other issues, just REALLY needs a good cleaning.

So sorry for my first VERY long post - although I'm relatively new to the MB world, I do participate in the PCNA (time permitting) and in my "childhood" we had a 1954 (I think) 220 Cabriolet (looked like a Rolls) with a 4 speed on the column (I learned how to drive in that car) and a 1966 220S - bulletproof. I am wanting to buy a dependable car to keep in Philly, not just a "train station" car, but one to enjoy the "old world build quality" when I am here.

Your thoughts and commentary will be MOST appreciated. btw - I am NOT in any hurry to buy - I have at least 2 or 3 months to look - these are just the 3 that I have looked at this year. If you could recommend a particular tank that is so dependable I could use it for my hearse one day - please feel free to recommend - you have my heartfelt thanks.

I hope all is well with everyone and once again, GREAT BOARD!

'tis the season (my normal salutation)

boater

Last edited by dcboater; 07-31-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer