E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Locking fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBD
Locking fan clutch?

I know it's been posted before but I still can't figure out exactly how to lock the fan clutch while trying to unbolt it!

I did a home-made contraption for the special tool that's needed (basically took a heavy wire coathanger and bent it to a right angle). but then that is supposed to get inserted in some groove on the fan bearing bracket?

I took some pics along the way to describe my confusion...

So in this pic, I'm just showing where I am with the fan shroud removed. I put in 2 allen keys just as place holders to show anyone interested where the fan clutch bolt is and where one of the fan clutch to fan screw points are. Judging by other's experiences I'll probably need to use a breaker bar to loosen the fan clutch bolt.

So basically here's where I get confused. I know I need to change my fan clutch since I can pretty much turn and stop the fan by hand. And when I try to loosen the bolt all that happens is the entire fan pulley just turns. I tried to figure out where to insert my homemade stopper tool but for the life of me can't figure it out!

Here's a picture of the new fan clutch from MB (part number 103 200 04 22 made by Behr). Basically, I don't see anywhere where the stopper tool would go through the fan clutch, so it must go around somewhere behind the clutch pulley assembly??

Any help would be appreciated! Any pics would help too! I'm getting quoted 3 hrs of labour to swap this part out but it looks like a 30 - 60 min DIY job! I'm also thinking of swapping my fan blades since its pretty old and dirty looking but looks mechanically fine.

Also, while I'm at this swap, I'm thinking of replacing my 2 auxiliary fans. The driver's side one engages fine at 105C but thepassenger side one needs a couple of knocks for it to kick in. Any how to's on this one?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:50 PM

TBD
Thought to post a picture of the fan bearing bracket too since apparently there's supposed to be a groove somewhere for the locking tool to fit? I just don't see where though....

Old 10-19-2008, 04:56 PM

TBD
Oh and it probably helps to know I have the '93 300CE (I believe m104 engine)...

Here's the two posts I'm going by...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=clutch+fan

That gets inserted in the groove and
hole in hub. The groove on the bracket is about the 2 oclock position behind the hub. Get the tool in the groove then slowly turn the fan until you "feel" the hole. Then loosen the bolt (8mm). edit: This applies to a M103.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=start+hot
Old 10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You’re close.

The flange itself is held from behind to keep it from spinning:

photo credit uberwgn

Related procedure:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=158069

Helpful specialty tools:
103 589 00 40 00 locking tool for viscous fan coupling R&R
103 589 01 09 00 short 8mm allen socket

They're available from-
www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm

Last edited by splinter; 10-19-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add links
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM

TBD
hmm... thanks for the pic, i went outside to take a look and i honestly have no idea how to get in there without taking off more parts / hoses. that picture looks like it was taken from the passenger side and is definitely the pulley for the fan and when I look behind the pulley from the passenger side i can hardly see anything..

i'm even surprised you were able to get a camera in there to take a picture! LOL.

do you maybe have a more zoomed-out shot and / or is there other parts i need to take out to get access? is that even the same engine as mine? I have the 3.2 m104. thanks again...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM

TBD
another thing i noticed that looks different is that my serpentine belt looks like it goes around the fan pulley with ridges outward and in your pic the ridges are inward? i had my belt replaced by MB a long time ago (actually due for another change...) so i'm sure its on the right way.. so these might be different engines hence why i can't see behind the pulley?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM

TBD
bump... hoping to make attempt # 2 tonight after work..
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM

TBD
I figured out why my serpentine belt has the grooves facing up when going over the fan pulley and why in splinter's pic the grooves are inward... it looks like that's from a 300D which is attached to a water pump whereas mine is attached to a bearing bracket.

still trying to figure out how to get mine off.. LOL
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps this will help...

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

One more...

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM

TBD
wow, that helps big-time! I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow after work when there's light out.

here's a quarter view of the fan bearing I pulled up from eBay, says for a 1993 - 1995 w124 (mine is MY1993, but production year 1992, with m104 engine).

that notch matches nicely with the diagram in your PDF so looks like the right place to stick the tool!

btw - which manual did you get these images from? I'm looking to get a technical manual.