E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help the new guy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Help the new guy.

Hi. I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some good advise from you guys. I wanted to get a weekend fun car and by looking around I think I have my heart set on E-320 Convertible (1994-95). I have a family, so 4 seats are a key for the wife.
So I looked around the net and found a few that I really liked.I talked to a few people that had cars like that (not the convertible) and they said theese are really reliable cars. Since it is a new world to me, do you guys mind filling me in on what to look for in theese cars. I live on a midwest and would like to gat a car from the south. The Miles that are listed on most of the cars for sale are around 100K. I was told it is nothing for a car like that. Please help!
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
W124 owners generally love their cars - I do.

However, they tend to overlook the flaws too. These cars perform well, even with high miles, BUT they are getting older now and IMO they are not reliable compared to many others. Furthermore, it is expensive to maintain them. Head gaskets, engine management and climate control systems are likely to have problems. Lots of modules to replace at big $$$.

Expect to sort out problems in any care you buy and realise it may be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair.

Not trying to discourage you, but trying to be realistic so that you do not have a disappointing experience.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by 190E 16V
W124 owners generally love their cars - I do.

However, they tend to overlook the flaws too. These cars perform well, even with high miles, BUT they are getting older now and IMO they are not reliable compared to many others. Furthermore, it is expensive to maintain them. Head gaskets, engine management and climate control systems are likely to have problems. Lots of modules to replace at big $$$.

Expect to sort out problems in any care you buy and realise it may be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair.

Not trying to discourage you, but trying to be realistic so that you do not have a disappointing experience.

Good luck.
+1. You can expect to spend between $1000 - $2000 just to get the car up to date with repair and need parts replacement. So even if a car looks pristine you can bet you are going to have to replace some rather pricey compnents. If you have the knowledge and ability to do the work yourself it is not that bad. If not you could spend a small fortune just having a problem diagnosed.

That bieng said they are great cars and a ton of fun to drive. A cabrio is on my list of cars I would like to own.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
I think these are the perfect WEEKEND FUN CAR...

Do a search in the w124 forum for buying a w124, there are loads of old threads with complete checklist.

This advice is a tad dated in terms of price, but worth a read.

I bought one Cab in July and loved it so much, I bought a spare. When you read the love folks on these boards have for the chasis itself, then consider the fun factor of a drop top and the LIMITED MILES a play car will get, these cars provide a unique ownership experience...

Last edited by RHW; 11-05-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by RHW
I think these are the perfect WEEKEND FUN CAR...

Do a search in the w124 forum for buying a w124, there are loads of old threads with complete checklist.

This advice is a tad dated in terms of price, but worth a read.

I bought one Cab in July and loved it so much, I bought a spare. When you read the love folks on these boards have for the chasis itself, then consider the fun factor of a drop top and the LIMITED MILES a play car will get, these cars provide a unique ownership experience...

What is the top speed of the silver, propeller powered cabrio?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Thank you everyone. That was heplfull. Does 1993, 1994 or 1995 makes a diffference in their common problems?
How about the retractable roof? Are there any problems with it?
I would assume it would cost a fortune to fix? Anymore tips, recommendations?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I'd say the biggest expense would be a new wiring harness on the newer W124's then of course the climate control system. It also saves to be your own mechanic for sure
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
"What is the top speed of the silver, propeller powered cabrio?"

Has yet to be determined, our drivers keep getting chopped up into little pieces. We may have a design flaw, if we lose a few more drivers, we will redesign it.

Dave, I agree with everyone here about turning your own wrenches, but I do not do much myself. My own perspective is that I've always run new cars every 3-4 yrs - so annual cost for 1 new vehicle is my baseline. I can run several 124s for less money, with a fantastic "range" of choices everyday. I'm just not into the 'disposable car' game manufacturers now play.

Posters here have been incredibly helpful w advice, both in terms of style and saving time isolating problems.
It's critical to establish the inde shops you can trust, and then to understand no one is perfect.

BTW, the 93 is "pre facelift" and less than 1000 of them were brought to the USA. MAYBE they don't have the failing wire harnesses(?)
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Thank you everyone for your support and the info. Unfortunately I have no time or the skills for that matter to do stuff myself, but then again I nave had an expensive hobby. May be it would be a good start. If and When I get the car I would like to get the rims, clear turn lights and to lower it a litttle bit. This would be pretty much it. Body kits look awesome on the pictures here, but I think I will have to do without. I will look in to getting one around the holidays, that is when my 2004 is due back for the end of lease.
Thanks again. I'm sure I will be back with morre questiones. BTW, those pictures are great!