E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 c280
need help

hello mb world,
I own a W202 but I'm looking for a w124 for my son as a surprise. I'm looking into a 300e sedan. I was wondering why are they so cheap? I mean I've seen some as low as $500. Do they all have problems? Also do they come in all black or just black and silver? Will I have to get a paint job? Anyone please help me with my questions and I thank you.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
They are cheap because no one likes to pay the mercedes tax and people who don't know about them think the repairs will cost way too much. Look for mercedes in areas of l.a where you won't normally find them. If you go to "nicer" areas you'll find nicer w124s but the price will match the condition. You will have to do a regular tune up and it shouldn't cost you a fortune to keep it up. Go on craigslist and if u haggle enough maybe you'll get it cheap.

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 12-26-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
They are good cars if you get the right one and absolute nightmares if you get the wrong one.

Make sure of the following

Wire harness has been replaced

Check for head gasket oil leaks at the front and rear of the engine on the passenger side

Stay away from rust

Saty away from a rough idle. It may not be as simple as new plugs and wires.

Make sure Trans engages into and out of gear within a second or two.

The more toys the more to go wrong. Traction control, self leveling suspension, 4matic are all nice and fun till they break down and cost a grand or so to fix.

Also go for the newest possible 124 you can. Not only does the newer engines have a better fuel delivery system but they have more power and they have a more modern look to them with the side skirts and such.

The price being low is as before mentioned. People think they have prhibitive repair cost but if you shop around and get the right car they are very reliable and not much more than you average nicer import to repair (good second hand parts market)

Happy hunting.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM

1996 c280
so thats about it?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

be patient
nice cars are everywhere, but deals arent always out there.

do your research now. start getting an idea of what youre looking for when you go look at a car. noyour definite red flags (wiring harness, high miles, "milkshake" in the coolant expansion tank, no records etc.

HAVE CASH ON HAND/ cash is the great negotiator. i have yet to buy a car for list price by having actual cash. not a cashiers cheque. not a bank draft. cold hard. cash. hundos and twennies do the trick. i pay on avg 75- 80% of the advertised price.

be prepared to walk away.

im single, so i have no problems flying out to dallas or san francisco or somewhere to buy a car. im always ready to drive it back.

they are great cars, and now is an excellent time to buy. lots of stuff in the $4K range, some occasional nice ones at $3K, and some good potential below that too.