E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Please identify this parts' purpose. Front suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Please identify this parts' purpose. Front suspension.

Last week I noticed that my car was making a funny noise when switching between turning directions. I also noticed that when holding a certain degree of turn, the steering wheel seemed to bounce. I parked the car until last night when I realized an EXTREME rate of camber.

Today I finally got the wheel off and found the problem pretty quickly. The bolts that hold the shock into the spindle assembly had completely disappeared!

I need to know what the part in the center of this picture is. It must have taken the force of the shock being pushed into it, because it is now broken.

Looking at the other side, I think it is used as a placer to help guide the shock into position before being bolted in, but I would like a second (informed) opinion.

Also, if anyone could give me the torque specs for the bolts in question, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Justin
Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Are you talking about the steering knuckle? I see bolts going through the steering knuckle and bottom shock mounts. I'll try to give you some torque specs when I get home....
Old 01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. The bolts that go from the shock to the steering knuckle are completely gone as you can see. I needed to know what the piece in the center of the photos (the only remotely shiny piece of metal) is for.

Torque specs on those bolts would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks

BTW. Im getting some depos tomorrow. They look sick on your car!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
Yes. The bolts that go from the shock to the steering knuckle are completely gone as you can see. I needed to know what the piece in the center of the photos (the only remotely shiny piece of metal) is for.

Torque specs on those bolts would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks

BTW. Im getting some depos tomorrow. They look sick on your car!
Thanks and Good move man I still need to paint my filler panels though .

I looked through my haynes manual today and got some torque specs:

Front Suspension:
Shock Absorber:
Upper mounting to body nuts 20Nm or 15 lbf ft
Lower mounting to steering knuckle bolts 110Nm or 81 lbf ft

I didn't see anything on those shiny nubs in your pictures, later on my Mitchell shop repair CD's might shed some light on that.....
Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW M3 vert
I just put my Bilstein sports on the front today and I don't remember seeing that shiney part (I didn't see your thread first though so I can't say I was looking for it).

I got some extra bolts laying around since the Bilsteins came with some if you needed one/two. The shiney part definitely isn't used to "guide" the shock into place...really don't know what that piece is.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks appatula. I actually found the torque spec by turning the bolt on the passenger side until it started to tighten more. I got about 80nm so I guess it was a decent enough method.

Brabus, I picked up some new ones for the junkyard yesterday, along with some other parts Ive been meaning to get. I came to the conclusion that the broken part did not rotate with the rotor/wheel, it was not part of any of the actual steering or suspension linkage, it is not part of the brakes, it doesnt bear any weight or load at all (at least when you actually have wheels on), so its not exactly the most important piece. I think its actually only about an inch long.