E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cd Deck Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Cd Deck Replacement

Hey guys

I want to replace my becker casette player with a cd deck. I am aware that the newer benz's require a fiber optic connection. I drive a 1992/1993 300E (the guy at the autoparts store said that since my car is june 92 its considered a 93) and my queston is if i were to purchase any old CD deck would it work with my existing wiring? I cant stand casettes... they are soooo 80's lol

Thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 07:41 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
Replacing the antique Becker with a new CD deck

When you replace the Becker Grand Prix tape/radio with any aftermarket CD head unit there are some things to consider. Yes, you can use the existing power, ground, and speaker wires but since all aftermarket head units come with electronic fader built-in, you want to access the speaker wires before they reach the dirt-collecting rotary fader in your console. All aftermarket units have four ohm (impedance) speaker outputs, and the aweful o.e. paper-faced ones are 2.1 ohms or something just as low. You will want to replace the original speakers with aftermarket coaxial ones the same size (4"front, 5.25"rear). To wire a ten disk changer, mount the changer in the trunk and run the shielded cable through the rubber-plugged pass through behind the back of the rear seat. Un-snap the plastic threshold cover off and carefully lay the wire down the side of the car and up, behind the back of the cosole to the head unit. Head unit power is a big jump from the days of the Becker unit, but it cannot compare to the clarity provided by a four channel amplifier. Remember that when you are talking about watts per channel you are not talking about how loud...that's the volume control. Wattage means clear! P.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:49 PM

Yea I'd run new speaker wires.

ALso don't confuse the antenna wires. You gotta trigger wire and a reception wire for your power antenna.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Almost a Member!

300E
and one other question, I think my antenna motor is bad. I use to drive toyota and it had a power antenna and well everytime would go up and down when the radio was turned on. WEll i hear a noise in my trunk and iv noticed on several occasssions that the antenna goes down but never up. I was wondering is there a way to access my antenna motor without cutting a hole in the side of my trunk?

Thanks