E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

broken spring effect on steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
broken spring effect on steering?

I have a signifigant amount of travel/wandering above 55mph. I have checked all linkage, replaced steering gear box, steering dampener and idler arm bushing kit. I am still getting the steering issue. I have a broken spring on the passenger side (about 3/4 of an inch up off the pad) I have a lean of 1/4 inch. Ever heard of a broken spring effecting the steering like this.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
dammm you replaced all that stuff you might as well replace the spring... that could be dangerous if its craked or broken
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i would like to see pics of this broken spring...
also, i can see how this would cause the 'wandering' (if the break is what i imagine it to be), because the lean means the car is probably out of alignment now. but yeah, like berti said, it's probably not very safe to roll on a broken spring...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
i would like to see pics of this broken spring...
also, i can see how this would cause the 'wandering' (if the break is what i imagine it to be), because the lean means the car is probably out of alignment now. but yeah, like berti said, it's probably not very safe to roll on a broken spring...
Yeah, I am going to be doing the springs. It is just not as high on the list as the head gasket and the trans main seal. The break is such that there is no risk of it jumping out of its seat but I definitely want to get it replaced. All the parts I replaced I only spent $200.00 and they needed to be replaced anyhow so it was worth it. Any good thoughts on source for the springs? I will post a pic as soon as I can. Gotta love older cars, but no car payment so it works out.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
with as many people on here that have lowered their cars, i would make a WTB thread for used OEM springs and give that a shot....
i would have sent you mine for cost of shipping but when i first swapped them out i did it at a shop (before i got a compressor) and completely forgot to take the old ones with me...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Also some food for thought, check your rear subframe mounts. Mine were absolutely shot when I bought my sedan and it made highway driving quite scary! I would get the feeling at I was constantly in a windstorm being pushed side to side and I also noticed that the car would track to the right when I applied full throttle.