E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 (95 E320 Cab) Stereo Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2003 | 11:21 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 Cabriolet
W124 (95 E320 Cab) Stereo Upgrades?

Any suggestions on upgrading or completely replacing this stereo system?

Havent been able to find anything that "just fits" for upgrades --- any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2003 | 04:48 PM

C63, M3
i have a friend that just left the Boston speakers on the doors at the front

and made 2 round circles, and put in some sony spaekers, and for the back he put a sub in the trunk with some 6x9's in the back, duno how he did that yet. IMO sony stereo sounds crappy. He should have gotten something else.
Old 01-22-2003 | 06:55 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
124 stereo upgrade

If you really want clear CD sound with excellent dynamic range you will need to replace the speakers as well as the head unit. All aftermarket head units deliver into four ohms and all aftermarket speakers are coaxial and four ohms. Any CD deck will sound minimal, not just Sony, when used to drive four speakers. Install a four channel amplifier and the sound will become incredible. By the way, Sony makes two lines of car stereo: Sony Explode (for chains and mass merchants, and Sony Mobile ES (sold at specialty car audio dealers. ES is the premium line. Make sure you run speaker wires down one side of the car and power wires down the other. Almost all Asian aftermarket speakers are made "offshore" not in the U.S. They differ in efficiency but are mostly the same sound. This is not heresy! There are three chinese and three Japanese companies who produce speakers for brand companies like: Kenwood, Clarion, Pioneer, Panasonic, Aiwa, Alpine,Eclipse(trademark of Fujitsu Ten pty. Ltd.), German coaxial speakers (MBQuart, J.L. Audio, Canton) and ultra high end: Focal (French), Dynaudio, and Morell Acoustic. Use same size speakers. Shop wisely for price when you seek out a four channel amplifier. American made amps do sound better (Earthquake, Fosgate, Precision Power, J.L. Audio). You can get great discounts on line. P.
Old 01-24-2003 | 11:25 AM

Don't be dissin Sony's!!!!!!

Well you can. Lots of people say the head units and speakers suck, but I'm a sony guy. I have a sony head unit and two xplods in back. I'll probably be replacing the xplods soon...

It's kinda the same as me being a U2 fan. So many people say U2 sucks, but hey its a U2 thing, you wouldn't understand.

Same thing goes for the Sonys, Its a Sony thing, you just wouldn't understand.

Ha ha, well anyway... yes, these guys are right. Whether you use sony or not (I can assure you though, don't get sony mid-high speakers), you should get new speakers as well. THose MB "Lautsprechers" just suck, I think everyone agrees with that. When I took mine out I'm surprised they could even make a noise!

If ya need some non-Bias Sony help let me know. I'll help ya with some install tips even if ya don't buy Sony's!

Good luck to ya sir!
Old 01-24-2003 | 02:06 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E 320 Cab
I have the same car as yours. 95 E320 Cab. I have close to $4 grand of stereo in my car. Boston Acoustic speakers in door panels and rear sidepanels, tweeters in front and rear, new in dash speakers, a 660 watt Rockford Fosgate amp in the trunk and a Alpine 7894 cd/mp3/XM head unit. I know there are better systems out there, but you would think this one would do the trick - not quite. Take the top down and at 60 mph you can barely hear the darn thing. The magnets in the door speakers are so heavy that after repeated door closing, the speakers begin to come apart. I have removed and repaired the drivers side once about a year ago, needs it again. I am somewhat envious of the new Lexus owners with their Mark Levinson systems that are so crystal clear and perfectly tuned to the inside dimensions of the car. I think the real beef is that these cars just don't lend themselves to superior sound - not enough separation, not much room in the trunk to push air around.