E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

e320 head gasket job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
e320 head gasket job

Hi all,
I am in the midst of attempting to replace the head gasket on my 1995 E320 Wagon. It is leaking way too much oil. I just did a Volvo 240 head gasket and got so full of myself I decided to try this and maybe save $1500. I have the only written e320 manual that I am aware of. It is black and blue (appropriate colors) and titled "Mercedes 124 1985-1995" - "Owners Workshop Manual". It is published by Technibooks. Distributed by Motorbooks. It is very English and in the United Kingdom. Anyway this is way different than a Volvo 240. I am trying to follow the directions starting on page 28 for my 6 cylinder 4 valve M104. I think that I have it at TDC which is the first thing they say to do. I have also removed the 4 bolts that attach the exhaust manifold to the pipes. I have removed the rocker cover and ignition wires. What I cannot get is how I am going to remove the head with the intake manifold on as many in the archives have advised. I am definitely going to rent or create an engine lift because there is no way I am going to try to lift that head and intake.

What I am stuck on is how the intake is going to lift detach from the car. I know about the two large pipes that the plastic black intake stuff is attached to and I can easily loosen the pipe clamp on the front one but I am having a real tough time getting to the back one. I don't see how there is enough room to get the phillips head in there and have the amount of leverage needed. Also, I do not see anything in this manual about detaching the fuel line from the fuel rail which I am sure has to be detached before the intake is lifted out with the head. Any hints or tips as to what to do next would be most appreciated. Please look at the three pictures on my website to see if I am at top dead center. I see no indication on either one of the cam wheels that I am but it sure looks like the valves on cylinder 1 are closed.

This is the site with some pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sasjzl/1987volvo240/

If anyone has this same manual can you check that I am looking at the correct information starting at page 28?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/M104HeadGasket