E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fan rubs on pulley - advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300CE-24
Fan rubs on pulley - advice needed

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a clicking/rattling sound coming from the front. It has since got a lot worse and started to sound like a "bag of nuts". On close inspection, I can see that the cooling fan has started to rub on a belt pulley on the lower left hand side of the front of the engine.

She's an 89 300CE-24.

Any ideas? Is it more likely that the the fan is loose or the pulley is loose? I couldn't feel any play on the fan.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by fesha
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a clicking/rattling sound coming from the front. It has since got a lot worse and started to sound like a "bag of nuts". On close inspection, I can see that the cooling fan has started to rub on a belt pulley on the lower left hand side of the front of the engine.

She's an 89 300CE-24.

Any ideas? Is it more likely that the the fan is loose or the pulley is loose? I couldn't feel any play on the fan.

Thanks in advance.
Two things. Check the bolt on the pulley. I think it is a 10mm allen. It is more likely that it has been loosened a bit. You can also wiggle the fan itself and see if it has play in it but there are three bolts holding that puppy in there so it is more likely the pulley bolt loose.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 AM

300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Don't drive it until you know ...

I had this on my 300Ce-24 - it was the fan bearing.

I risked it and drove from Loire valley to London where my old chum Steve Redfearn fixed it but it was tense stuff. The bearing could have failed completely and trashed quite a lot.

"Play safe", is my advice.

RayH
Old 03-10-2009, 10:45 AM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Originally Posted by fesha

She's an 89 300CE-24.

Thanks in advance.
Could also be motor mounts and or transmission mounts.
When they start to collapse it can cause the fan to hit the shroud.