E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

rough idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:28 PM

300E
rough idle

Hi Everybody.
Got a bit of a problem with a '93 300E 1450000 miles.
When i slow down before a stop light, idles very rough. Up and down, sometimes it stops.
To prevent the car from shoting down, I press the brake and the gas pedal in the same time.
If I start moving, no problems. Next stop light, does the same thing again. This would go on the length of 4-5 stop lights. Then, no problems.
This thing happens every few days to few weeks.
It did this starting last fall, no problems all winter and now, as soon as it got warmer outside, started again.
It might do it as soon as I start the car or after 3 hours driving...makes no difference.
So far, nobody could pin point what's wrong with it.
Did anybody of you experienced something similar?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-08-2009 | 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
NMI - need more info.What maintenance has been done to the car?When was the last time the following was changed :plugs,fuel filter ,air filter ,wires?It always easier to start here then to throw money and time at "theories" or $tealership diagnosis.
Old 03-08-2009 | 08:09 PM

1993 500E
Originally Posted by danphilly
Hi Everybody.
Got a bit of a problem with a '93 300E 1450000 miles.
When i slow down before a stop light, idles very rough. Up and down, sometimes it stops.
To prevent the car from shoting down, I press the brake and the gas pedal in the same time.
If I start moving, no problems. Next stop light, does the same thing again. This would go on the length of 4-5 stop lights. Then, no problems.
This thing happens every few days to few weeks.
It did this starting last fall, no problems all winter and now, as soon as it got warmer outside, started again.
It might do it as soon as I start the car or after 3 hours driving...makes no difference.
So far, nobody could pin point what's wrong with it.
Did anybody of you experienced something similar?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Dan
sounds like a vacuum leak. check your vacuum hoses, listen for a hiss.

a'
Old 03-09-2009 | 09:50 PM

300E
Well,
I'm not really sure about what and when was done on the car. I'm told from the person that I got it from that filters, wires, spark plugs etc were changed not long ago.
I took the car to three places, not a MB dealer though. Nobody could pin point what is wrong with it. They all looked for a vacuum leak but couldn't find one.
Problem is that it doesn't do it all the time. I could go 2-3 weeks before it starts acting weird. And again, this would go on for 2-4 stop lights. By pushing the gas pedal, in the same time with the break pedal, I'm able to get the RPM up and prevent the car from stalling. Then, just like that, no more problems...runs perfect.
I was hoping that somebody else might have experienced anything similar.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post
Dan
Old 03-10-2009 | 03:07 AM

E 220 W124
Try to get code out of pin 8 and pin 14

see http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=107630
Old 03-10-2009 | 04:43 AM

Mercedes 300CE Coupe
mine has the same sort of problem i think, when i stop at a light with my foot on the brake the revs go up an down, it has never stalled but it comes close to it an the car kind of shakes as it comes close to stalling. but if i put it in neutral then it idles fine. the car only had a service the other day everything changed but there is a small oil leak in the crank casing but dont think that would affect it. iv spoken to a couple of people about it they say its fine but i dunno.
Old 03-11-2009 | 07:28 PM

300E
well, i solved the problem!
it doesn't start at all now so...i guess that narrows it down, right?