E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Climate Control Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2003 | 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo
Climate Control Problems

My 1987 300D Turbo is having some climate control problems.

First of all, the only vents that work are the ones on the far left and right of the car right by the window. The ones that should warm your feet, and the ones in the center console don't blow at all. Also, I'm not sure if the vent that blows on the windshield works all that well.
Does anyone have an easy solution, or some troubleshooting I could go through to this problem?
(Yes the vents are open visibly from the cabin)

Also, I think it is one of my vents. But occasionally my car will make this annoying high pitched wistling noise that drives me insane. If I bash my dash underneath the glove box the noise will usually stop. But sometimes it just keeps going, mocking me with its high-pitched annoyingness. I'm getting to the point where I can't stand it anymore.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Jared
Old 01-28-2003 | 06:22 PM

Some people can help you with the blower and also you might be able to do a little searching and find step-by-step instructions for a do-it-yourself blower replace.

I believe that the center vents will only work with the A/C running and the heater will activate the vents near the windows.

Not sure about the lower cabin vents though, (under the dash), those should always be blowin, esp in the winter....
Old 01-28-2003 | 09:17 PM

260E , 1989 (for now)
Two of the possibilities:
1) bad electrical contact in your heater/A/C unit control switches.
This can sometimes be fixed by re-soldering each and every contacts and electrical connections in the module.
2) defective vacuum actuators operating the various air traps under and behind the dash. Some of the actuators can be reached from under the dash, others require the removal of about half of the inside of the car to get acess to. (Console, dash and a lot more.)
A good Mercedes tech could test your heater/AC control module. That's where I'd start
Good luck
JackD