E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Weird oil leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C124 E320 Coupe - 1975 W116 280S
Weird oil leak.

Anyone aware of oil leaking from here?

I think it could explain this thread i posted in benzworld:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...need-help.html

or seeing visible smoke from the back when I stretch the legs of the coupe (90+ MPH for longer than 5 miles), which makes sense because when you push the car a lot, oil pressure gets high and could be leaking out of these vacuum ports.

that said, when I took the intake housing off, it was really dirty with oil and the MAF was covered in dirty oil as well, and you can see the same dirtyness on the butterfly valve of the throttle actuator.

What are the best ways to clean them out?

I also have developed a very slight rough idle and took the intake off to look at the ignition coils but spotted the above dirtyness.

The idle isn't really really rough like its about to conk out and the car shakes a lot, its just there are visible yet very very subtle inconsistencies in idle RPM sometimes, and you can feel the engine kicking very very subtly like theres a very small misfire. It does not inhibit driving at all but it just doesnt idle as smoothly as it used to. Motor mounts were done just last year and this rough idle doesn't happen all the time.

Could the dirty MAF cause the rough idle? How do I fix that oil leak?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Chinny4290
Anyone aware of oil leaking from here?

or seeing visible smoke from the back when I stretch the legs of the coupe (90+ MPH for longer than 5 miles), which makes sense because when you push the car a lot, oil pressure gets high and could be leaking out of these vacuum ports.
Not likely due to increased oil pressure. The ports you see are crankcase and not pressurized by oil pump. Those rubber grommets can be replaced but past that I don't know what to tell you.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Mercedes 320CE, 1993 audi v8 quattro, 1990 audi coupe quattro(doing 20vt project)
it is normal to have some oil run down the T/B and MAF due to the nature of this PCV design, you might have leaks on PCV grommets, and possible valve cover gasket too. Luckly, they are easy to replace, and gaskets are just about 50 bucks. BTW, make sure you torqued up valve cover bolts propertly after gasket replacement, good luck

Last edited by xsun; 04-26-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by xsun
BTW, make sure you torqued up valve cover bolts propertly after gasket replacement, good luck
I second that. Those little buggers will strip out your threads on the head very easily.......don't ask how I know.