E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Ignition Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
Ignition Replacement?

I picked up a '95 E320 a couple weeks back, got tired of the Audi scene, but I ran into problems immediately. This week, the car didnt start. The key turns in the ignition, the lights all come on in the dash, (horn, lights, radio work, I also tried a new battery), but the started doesnt even make any noise. There is just a light click from the alarm unit and that is all.

The starter works great too, we tested the starter and the car fired right up when we left the ignition on and wired the starter to a new power source. So could my ignition unit need replacing? The whole key turn feels different than before.

Its not the alarm, the lights dont flash and it doesnt honk, I checked and the alarm still goes off when I open a locked door. Any suggestions on what it could be?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM

well i was going to suggest the alarm. Is it aftermarket? does it have an immobilizer to the starter? just check that to make sure before you start with the rest of it.
After that, check your relays and your fuses. if thats all in order then either replace the cylinder or wire in a start switch that runs off the cylinder.
replacement isnt difficult if you ahve the key. simply drop the knee gaurd with few phillips screw drivers, i believe there are two 5mm allen screws holding it to the steering lock, put the key in and turn to second position (have the battery disconnected already), and pull the ignition cyl out, then there are 3 scress that hold the lock to the cyl.... I think if you clean it out with some contact cleaner you should be fine, I have never seen these things go bad.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
To me it sounds like it is the alarm.

Its probably in Valet mode, see if there is some kind of trigger under the dash above your feet that resets the unit.

Is it factory or aftermarket alarm?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM

'97 Renntech E60RS
Did you say it started with a new battery? If it did then I would suspect a bad alternator.

I had the exact same thing on my wife's daily driver '95 E320 Wagon. All the lights etc. It'll suck the power out of a new battery in an hour. Did you read the codes?

david
Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 AM

1995 E420
Thanks for the input. Its the factory alarm, but I still dont think thats the culprit. My alarm operates like it did before the starting issue, it does the whole blaring and blinking routine when I open a locked door (one of my doors doesnt lock so thats how I know the alarm goes off), but doesnt do that when I attempt to start it.

I checked all of the fuses and relays, they seem to be fine. I actually took out the ignition and took off the cylinder. A new one ran me around $40 with tax, but I wont be able to test it out again until Saturday, thats the only day I have free.

And to answer David Henry's question, it's not the battery, I tried with a different battery and with a jump on the old battery, neither worked.

So now, till Saturday...
Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM

1995 E420
Looks like it wasnt the igntion switch, still having the same issue. Can anyone tell me where the starter relay is located?