E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ChrisD's 400E on ebay again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
^^ HAHAHAHA typical lawsuit happy attitude is what make a lot of americans look bad to the rest of the world. Hiring a lawyer for every little thing in life is low end.

It's just a couple of frigging pictures on ebay....don't want them out there, don't post them on the net.

These guys are operating a business and using pictures they have no permission to use to sell a product that isn't even represented in the picture. You're the one with the typical lackadaisical attitude that most Americans have when they see or know of something that isn't right but just turn the other way and act as if it isn't happening. You're probably the type that would see an old lady getting her purse snatched on the sidewalk and just cross the street to avoid the situation and act as if it didn't happen.

I can't stand frivolous lawsuits as much as the next guy but this is flat out wrong what they're doing, whether or not the actual owner of the pictures wants to do anything about it. Even a member in this thread said his friend is having a terrible experience with their product and its obvious as to what type of quality to expect from a company with such shady advertising practices.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Who here has an Ebay ID? I say we all message the seller notifying him in rapid fire, no need for lawyers, or discussions on ethics. Networking for the win?

It's not a huge deal, if it were me I'd take it as a compliment but at the same time I would EXPECT a polite email asking for permission to use my kicka$$ shots eh?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Brian_I.
Pictures posted online do not make them public domain. If you own a picture you own the copyright. You can have them take it down or pay you for using it. Hire a lawyer.
"Hire a lawyer"....
Typically response of the uninformed....everybody wants to get paid and for what.
The applicable section of Federal Law is posted below.
Use of the picture for a commercial purpose would be deemed "fair use" as it has not diminished the value of the picture.
Chris can get relief through a "notice and take down procedure"
If anyone is concerned about their pix being considered "public domain", then they should include the copywrite info on the face of the photo.

The most important factor is the effect of the use on the potential market for the copyright owner's work. If posting the image on the website leads to a reduction in sales of the copyrighted work or discourages people from accessing the copyright owner's website, a court is more likely to find that the use is not fair and has an adverse impact on the copyright owner's market.

In civil law if there is no monetary damage then there is no cause of action.

TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > § 107

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
^^ HAHAHAHA typical lawsuit happy attitude is what make a lot of americans look bad to the rest of the world. Hiring a lawyer for every little thing in life is low end.

It's just a couple of frigging pictures on ebay....don't want them out there, don't post them on the net.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These guys are operating a business and using pictures they have no permission to use to sell a product that isn't even represented in the picture. You're the one with the typical lackadaisical attitude that most Americans have when they see or know of something that isn't right but just turn the other way and act as if it isn't happening. You're probably the type that would see an old lady getting her purse snatched on the sidewalk and just cross the street to avoid the situation and act as if it didn't happen.
I can't stand frivolous lawsuits as much as the next guy but this is flat out wrong what they're doing, whether or not the actual owner of the pictures wants to do anything about it. Even a member in this thread said his friend is having a terrible experience with their product and its obvious as to what type of quality to expect from a company with such shady advertising practices.
Brian

With all due respect you seem to have much too much time on your hands.

14320 posts in 6 years averages 2386.6 posts per annum...or 6.54 posts per day

And the incredible thing that the majority have nothing to do with any vehicles

I only say this as I'm amazed when I look at your stats and don't recall anything constructive you've ever added about a Mercedes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Ed,

You are absolutely correct. I remember there was a case a while back regarding an art museum that was unhappy with pictures of art that were posted online. Ultimately this case ended up setting the precedent for this type of thing, no more "loopholes".
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
blah blah blah
Please see above.

Thanks for coming out.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Brian

I only say this as I'm amazed when I look at your stats and don't recall anything constructive you've ever added about a Mercedes
He has too much time on his hand but then research federal law and calculate his posts per day?

How about we learn from this and move on. Next time someone completes a project and wants to post pictures, just upload them to flikr or add the copyright from your photographer on it. Let's move on now....

OP just close the thread!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Brian

Thank you for the breakdown of my post count statistics. Looks like someone else has a lot of time as well...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Please see above.

Thanks for coming out.

Canadian says what?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:17 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Canadian says what?
Interesting turn of events, but your attempts at humor or claims of general disinterest aside, you've been exposed.

You sir, may bring less to the table than I do.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Ok, it seems to me like this thread is going no where...

Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
You know there is a feature in our profiles that will calculate that for you, right? haha