E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Lug Bolt Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Lug Bolt Help

I am buying some new wheels that are the same offset and diameter as my current wheels but are staggered, a half in thinner in front and a half inch wider in the rear, will i need new lugs for the new wheels or if they are the same diameter and offset would they be the same? i am not sure about the rule on lugs, do they change depending on the manufacturer or do they go by the size and offset as a standard?

I know that the lugs on the stock wheels (my 15" spare) are longer than my 18's so i am just curious as to whether or not i will need to buy new lugs

Current Wheels:

18x8.5 with a 35mm offset all around

New Wheels:

Front - 18x8, Rear - 18x9 with a 35 mm offset all around

Thanks in advance
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That really depends on the wheel design more than the offset per se.
If the wheel is "flush" then you will probably need longer bolts than if the wheel has a lip, ie inset. The offset could still be the same. Does that make sense?

If you look on this page you will see cutaway diagrams and description.

In these 3 images you can see what offset is. But the key here is to imagine that the wheel is a full face "flush" wheel, where the right side of the wheel will be the end. If thats the case, you are going to need longer bolts. If the wheels do have some "dish" to them, a lip as it were, then obviously the face doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the wheel. Some wheels have holes that are shallow and require bolts with an extended shank, others arent.

The best way to know is to have one of each wheel and a wheel bolt. Put the bolt in the hole and see how far it extends, and make sure you have that much thread exposed on the new wheel.

Last edited by neanderthal; 09-24-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You'll need new lugs unless the wheels are OEM. After market wheels have conical bolt seats and oem are ball seat...
Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You'll need new lugs unless the wheels are OEM. After market wheels have conical bolt seats and oem are ball seat...

The wheels i have now are after market, Moven, with conical bolts

I asked the place selling the wheels and they said they 'should' be the same lugs