E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Anyone use super seal for leaky evaporator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Anyone use super seal for leaky evaporator?

I think I am going to try the Cliplight Super Seal 946 Kit. My Indy told me they did it twice for other customers. Once it worked and once it didn't. Based on my history with my car, I suspect it won't work for me. I seem to get absolutely every problem ever reported for a W124. I think it is still worth a try, however, since it could save me a couple of thousnad dollars. Even if it lasted for just a year or two, maybe wishful thinking, it would be nice.

Also, of those that did replace your evaporator, did any of you try the all aluminum version. I am wondering if I should go for the one metal version to avoid a repeat performance, if I am still driving the car many years from now.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
I am not sure which brand product, but we tried this in my wagon, and it worked GREAT for a season and a half.

But, then, I needed to replace the evap, and apparently, the fix gums up more than just the exact leak, and I believe caused some additional expenses.

I also did this to my coupe, but 2 months later replaced the evap.

Maybe someone else has had great luck, but from now on, I'll replace evaps when needed.

Also, I bought an evap on ebay cheap, but ended up with oem, as the inde, my friend...charging me his cost on parts...showed me a few minor fitment issues...and asked if I wanted to gamble reassembly labor costs. While he had it apart, we went for oem.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Thanks, great advice!

Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

While I have your attention, maybe I should ask another question. Did you you replace all of the pods? I think there are 6. Also, was there anything else you did while the Indy had the dash out that you think I should consider having done?

Last edited by ksing44; 09-25-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Whats the evaporator?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Ksing! Sorry I saw this post late! My E420 had your problem. Couple of things you kind need to do first. You really need a gauge set and a vacuum pump! Hook up your vac pump and pull a vac. If it pulls close to 291/2 in and will hold for awhile you are a good sealer candidate. You are going to want to replace your drier to! By chance i have one for your car 320 if I remember. I used super seal I got from Advance and about 4lbs of freon. Replace drier pull a good vac install sealer and charge. As you charge should start to cool down. Note after you pull a vac before charging disconnect from pump! I was leaking back through pump watch gage. I had to do the procedure twice and so far been good for almost 2yrs. I bought a Sclass 300 SE same problem. Did the same thing to it and Inow have good AC!! I invested a few bucks for some equipment you might know someone with tools but I save myself a ton! If you want to email me with any questions you can get me here rtrudeau1@verizon.net I might be to late on this!! Also get on the net and read all you can about how AC works . Some good hints!! i think you need to be in the AC business to buy that Cliplite Sealer?? I bought that drier cuz it looked just like the one for the E420! but no one fitting was off by 1/2 in and you can't bend those pipes to fit! One more MB engineering fubar!! If you can use it will give it to you real cheap!!!

Smokie

Last edited by Smokiesman; 09-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
You are not too late!

Thanks Smokie,

I know it is best to be able to do your own work, but at least I have a great Indy. I really don’t mind paying him. He is a great guy, very honest, and knows more about fixing cars than I could learn in the next 10 or 20 years. His dad was a mechanic too and the father even worked at Mercedes in Germany. The son grew up working here in his dad’s local shop until he took over the business.

Anyway, I get what you are saying about testing the ability to hold a vacuum before even trying to use the super seal. I can get the product at a local distributor. I already called them and they have it available for me to try. The thing is now I am thinking I am probably into this car for the long term. I am thinking about just doing the evaporator replacement and hopefully all of the pods and whatever else looks like it needs fixing inside the dash.

I have to admit and most on this forum already know that I do have days when I wonder about trying another newer vehicle of some kind, but I do love this W124. I just don’t have that same feeling for the newer vehicles. There is something very special about keeping any older car on the road, but this one seems even more special. If I go for the big repair, it will be the first step down the road to fixing the bigger ticket items on the car. I do believe that the car will last at least another 100K miles, maybe even another 200K miles or more, if I just start fixing things. It is still a beauty and I still enjoy driving it, so this may really be the beginning.

Thanks again for your tip. I will definitely test the vacuum first, if I decide to try the super seal.

Ken
Old 09-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Ya! I know what you mean! it is hard to giveup a old friend!! I have my E420 up for sale right now. I feel like I am selling a member of the family!! While at auction with a friend I came across this 93 300SE . I bought it dirt cheap mainly because of the AC! Like the 124's it is a major job and mucho bucks to repair! My thought was hay I fixed BigBlue maybe I can do this one to! If not I could turn around and bring back to auction and try to get my money back! Long story short I got it up and going and I really fell in love with this car! Roomy quiet as a mouse ride like a baby buggy and can still cut a hard corner! My wife "liked" BigBlue but she loved this car! Kind of looks like a overweight 124!! The six is a little weak but adequate enough to get you a ticket. But I am averaging here in the mtns. 22mpg! Can't wait to get in the flatlands for a long ride! If you do the seal job right it should last! Have you read anything about how this stuff works? I would rather keep the 4k in my pocket. If you need that drier let me know!

Smokie